Setting timing on my 7.3 IDI 1993

cur.bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in So Fl and I am trying to get a lead on someone who has the equipment to set my timimg 8 degrees advanced. I spoke to our Ford service advisior and he told me that you should be able to do it by ear. Yeah right thats why I try to stay away from the dealers. It is a 93 IDI non PS and everthing I read says to go with 8 degrees advanced. I am actually in Port St. Lucie. Thank you

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you bring it to Gainesville I'll do it for no charge, or we could meet halfway and you could just give me a little something for fuel expenses.

Diesel Dawg

Reaction score
JD if you could drop me a line at [email protected] I would like to discuss the truck. Thank you.

HEY HEY! I am in melbourne FL and am in desparate need of a good timing. I just put a new fuel system in and have it timed by ear, by my not so experienced ear. If you guys want to get together sometime, let me know!:thumbsup:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My ear is really experienced, as are others. I find the ear tends to get it within 2 degrees, but 2 degrees can make a huge difference in how it runs. Best to get it to a meter. ;Sweet

cur.bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I want to eventually burn WVO in the truck my understanding is 8 degrees advanced is what it should be set at. The truck is set up with seperate f7uel systems so when I take the plunge it should do OK. I am not interested in smoke or mpg but the use of wvo is my ultimate use. I have about 7 years of running wvo in my other vehicles and this 7.3 will be the last vehicle I will have to buy. I have 3 mercede diesels with combined mileage of 932,000 and have been using wvo for the last 7 years. I bought them all used so I did not have a big nut to crack. Unlike this 7.3 Ford. If my wife knew how much I have in this truck she would treat it differently.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cur.Bill, I'm going to hit you with an email when I sign off of here. Diesel Dawg, I'd love to help you out too. Maybe what we need is a timing clinic a few of us could participate. I'm not the expert Mel is by any means...actually all I have to offer is having the tools(luminosity) and knowing how to use them. I've set the timing on my truck and gonecrayzi's truck. He and 77F250iesel had talked about a timing get together. He is in DeLand area and 77F250 is in Tarpon Springs. I don't mind going wherever as long as it's within a 3 hr or so drive of Gainesville(I can be flexible) I don't know how flexible the other guys are, we had talked about meeting closer to Tarpon but that might suck for you East Coast guys. Dennis(77F50diesel) has his own timing tools actually a a Ferret(pulse adapter) and I have the old snapon MT1480 with the tools to do luminosity only. Meter does either and gas engines also but I don't have he pulse adapter or pickup or inductive spark pickup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online

No members online now.