Set timing what a difference

johnkracing

Reaction score
:D Checked my timing yesterday, good thing I did it was at 5*. Between here and my friends manual we got it to 9.5*, it's alot snappier around town and on way to work today set cruise for a 10% fairly long hill. I've ran it on cruise quite a few times and same result 1090*-1100*, today pulling the hill it only hit 890* and boost stayed the same at 7 psi. Shoulda done this soon as I got truck but since it was running good I chose to leave it, really happy with results now just need to tweek the pump a bit more and all will be awesome.LOL:DLOL:D

John

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So how did you time the engine. What method did you use and what meter was used. Just wondering..

johnkracing

Reaction score
My buddy has a mac tools diesel pulse adapter( small red box w/ clamp for injector line and a horseshoe for attaching inductive clamp of timing light). I just wish I'd seen Al's little tutorial sooner than just now, had ***** of a time playing GI Joe with kung-fu grip turning the pump(not running).

John

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes, those pumps can sure make you feel like a girl trying to move them. Its a very poor design trying to move something with 8 hard lines with very little flex in them. This is why I suggest to members renting my timing meters to loosen the hard lines at the pump. Just loosen the top easy to reach lines. Then move the pump and tighten them up before you restart the engine.