sensor question.

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had the heads to be rebuilt, the machine shop removed all of the sensors in the heads and didn't replace them. I am missing the sensor on the right head next to the thermostat housing.I'm Just curious which sensor that is? Also, I'm missing a threaded piece that screws into the same head on the right side just above the manifold. I assume this is for a coolant hose that goes to the heater core. Where can I get these parts?
Thanks in advance,
Peter A.

Last edited:

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
i've got the heater one and the other is a engine coolant sensor
my local ford has it for $52 #E8TZ-9E939-A
pm me if you need the heater one?

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a sensor on the outboard of the left head which I thought was the engine coolant sensor? Now I'm really confused. Does anybody have a sensor/wiring harness schematic?

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the missing sensor and wires that aren't plugged into anything. The harness is an 89 solid state GP harness.

Update: I checked the Haynes manual, and the coolant sensors for both the gauge and the light are on the left side of the engine, and I have them correctly connected. This leads me to believe this sensor port is for a coolant sensor related to the glow plugs. If it is, I don't think I need it, as I have a push-button GP system. Anyone have an idea of what the other wires in my second attached pic are? One is for this mystery sensor, but what about the others?

Also, is there another source any of you would reccomend for this detailed info in the future? These Haynes diesel and Chilton manuals are just not detailed enough. I've gotten better info here (especially the tech articles), and this forum is free!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance,
Peter A.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the sensor on the right side is for the cold idle circuit. not a big deal in norkal unless you go into the snowy sections.
the connector for with the single "L" shaped plug is for the "water in feul" sensor on your feul filter.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd ask the shop you sent it to to return the missing parts. :backoff

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Agnem said:
I'd ask the shop you sent it to to return the missing parts. :backoff

I agree, when i said engine coolant, i think it is called a CES (IIRC) that is the part number i gave you it has two prongs on it, and yes the light and gague for coolant temps is on the drive side. the CES is an idle advance but it is not need to run, only in cold weather. i'll take som pics of mine, i removed them before i took the heads to the shop. :draw

Or is it a CIS???????????? :confused:

Last edited:

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm gonna go by the shop and try to get back the missing sensors. :backoff Just wish I would have caught it sooner. -cuss If they can't find them I guess it's off to pick-n-pull! :mad:

On a related note, where (besides your having worked on IDI's much longer than I :hail ) did you guys get this info? Shop manuals? I have heard of a service called alldata. Do they have detailed info like this? :confused: Did I mention the haynes and chilton manuals :puke:suck ? :D

h2odrx: I will try the pick-n-pull first for the heater core hose fitting and if I cant find it I may be interested in yours. :thumbsup: I will also check to see if the trubo stuff you were interested in is still there. :Sly

Thanks everybody for the help,
Peter A.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
no problem, my CES shorted out so that is how i know that one, and i've got one that i hope works, it came on my donor motor. as for my info came from this site and the other site (which is not a nice place anymore!)
thanks for looking for turbo parts, if you need any of these small parts i'll send them if you pay shipping?

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alldata

alldata is a very good program, i use it for everything, i have the proffesional version but they have a version for non-commercial users that you buy for your specific vehicle

we also have another program by snap-on called shopkey 5, this program is very expensive but contains the same info and i think it is harder to use but still a good program.

matt

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I went to pick-n-pull today and got the sensor and heater hose fitting. I ended up getting the fitting used on the top of the water pump vs. the one usually found in the right head. Same threads, a little longer and a different design, but there shouldn't be a problem, right?

H2odrx: No turbo downpipes or anything on the diesels today. I guess somebody read my heads up post and got to them? I'll keep my eyes out though.