Seized Hydraulic Head on IP

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got the news from the diesel shop that hydraulic head on my IP was seized.

It is all rebuilt now and is on its way back to me. He didn't charge me for a core either.

But anyway, I am just wondering what can cause the hydraulic head to seize.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive heard that stuck shut injectors can and also spraying the ip while its running with cold water can case the hydrolic head to shrink and seize to the rotor, dirt could probably do it also and mybe too thick of an oil? Others will have a better idea

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are some of the things he was suggesting. I was running cold WVO when It happened, I know it was my mistake, just want to learn from this and avoid it in the future.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Was the main shaft broken... Whats posted so far are reasons for this. Sounds like your engine may not have been able to crank too. Who did the repairs and do you trust them for doing a good job.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Main shaft was not broken, The engine was able to crank over. I was recommended by a few folks to have H&H diesel do the rebuild, I took the pump off my self and sent it to them. They seemed knowledgable when I talked to them on the phone.

He only mentioned that the hydraulic head was seized, didnt say that the main shaft was broke.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the head seized, then the main shaft broke. If it stopped moving and the timing gears are still turning that little shaft is the weak point.

I had one lock up when 20* straight WMO hit the pump while it was running last winter.

Your case was probably the wvo was in there and was too thick for it to move

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WVO. Trying to run too thick of fluid causes too much stress on the pump internals. Imagine trying to pump cold gear oil.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online