Seeking to do the impossible...

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum. Anywho...

I've got an International Scout, and for the longest time, I was planning on putting a 6.2 in it (even have the engine ready to go) but have since been convinced to get a 6.9 instead. Guess who helped convince me? That would be Jon... cookoo ;Sweet Anyway, that, and I can get the 6.9 for a really good price. Here's my problem... I've already got a GM NV4500 that I've put quite a bit of time and money into, and it's got a Jeep Dana 300 behind it (THAT was a fun swap...) So what I'd like to know; is there any good way to adapt the GM NV4500 to a 6.9? I'm not about to throw 1000 at this thing to make it work; for that, I'll go get a ZF5 and be done with it. If anybody has any pointers or knows of a better way than the $3000 conversion, I'm open to suggestions.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.....I knew it had to be that crazy SOB Jon that sent you over here. LOL Where abouts are ya in Florida?

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.....I knew it had to be that crazy SOB Jon that sent you over here. LOL Where abouts are ya in Florida?

Lol... yeah, it was him. I'm over on Binder Planet and that's where I met him. He's a great guy, but crazy as hell when it comes to his 6.9. But in a good way. I'm up in Navarre, close to Pensacola. Northwest corner. Parents live down just north of Miami, so I'm down there a few times a year too.

I really do want to make this work... but if I can't, where's a good place to look for a ZF5? Junkyards around here have absolutely NILL when it comes to trucks.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
check out "High Impact" for an adaptor plate or bell housing... they should have one but they tend to be pricey and might be where you are getting the 3k price tag from.

also might wanna give the folks at nv4500.com a call as they do have lots of stuff like this but did not see that specific plate on their site

just start calling people and ask around

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great hes making them multiply soon his whole scout group will be diesel

i know a 435 chevy trans bolts up to a t19 belousing

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
great hes making them multiply soon his whole scout group will be diesel

i know a 435 chevy trans bolts up to a t19 belousing

Lol... yeah, us diesel Scout guys are a pretty dedicated following. It's rare to see someone swap in an International diesel though.

check out "High Impact" for an adaptor plate or bell housing... they should have one but they tend to be pricey and might be where you are getting the 3k price tag from.

also might wanna give the folks at nv4500.com a call as they do have lots of stuff like this but did not see that specific plate on their site

just start calling people and ask around

I didn't see anything on NV4500.com either, but it seems that high-impact.com might have what I'm looking for, if they're willing to sell anything separately. I just don't want to get too much further into this transmission money wise than I already am. That's my "rock". My "hard place" is that ZF5's are pretty much impossible to find around here for less than $1500 or so. I could really save myself a headache by using a Ford T19, but I really just don't want to drive around without an overdrive. I hate listening to diesel RPM's on the highway. My 6.2 was just plain obnoxious with the 3 speed that it used to have. I guess I can always do a build thread if I do end up finding a good way to make this work. :rolleyes:

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Can't offer much advice on this but I just wanted to say welcome! I'm getting better with working on these engines, but fabrication and cross-brand swaps are beyond me. Good to see another member in the area! I'm hitting the junkyards here tomorrow, weather permitting, let me know if there's anything I can look for to help, since I'm not far away.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Welcome! At the risk of sounding like odd man out, why not just swap in the 6.2 if you already have all the stuff? Both engines need fabrication and you already have all the stuff for the 6.2.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Can't offer much advice on this but I just wanted to say welcome! I'm getting better with working on these engines, but fabrication and cross-brand swaps are beyond me. Good to see another member in the area! I'm hitting the junkyards here tomorrow, weather permitting, let me know if there's anything I can look for to help, since I'm not far away.

Thanks for the offer. As of right now, I can't think of anything big that I need. I'm still working on trying to get the truck from the guy for a decent price. He's a little proud of it at the moment.

Welcome! At the risk of sounding like odd man out, why not just swap in the 6.2 if you already have all the stuff? Both engines need fabrication and you already have all the stuff for the 6.2.

Well, that's a bit of a story if you really want to hear it. Short version is that I'm putting the 6.2 into another Scout of mine (I have 3 as of right now) and giving it an SM465 4 speed. I plan on selling that Scout, so I'm not going to give away my NV4500 with it. The Scout that I plan on keeping for myself is going to get the 6.9, so that's why I asked about it. So technically I am going to do the 6.2 swap, I'm just doing a 6.9 swap on another one. I have this problem with money and free time... I don't like either one. So I spend all my money and waste all my free time on my projects... cookoo

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Yea it was me haha. I told him he wouldn't be upset with it where the gm knocker may let him down! I breifly looked into a 4500 swap but just tossed in another t19. Eventually ill find a zf5.

-Jon

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get a spline count and input shaft length on the 4500 then get back to us
well compare that with the t 19
also look into the cummins swaps pm darin tosh he put in a cummins and used the stock tranny iirc you could reverse that