Sealer on flywheel bolts? Torque values of flywheel bolts?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
New bolts, blue loctite, 47fltbs and your done.....I put flywheels/clutches on Detroits, Cat's, Mercedes and Cummins engines all the time and all we use in blue locktite at work. The Mercedes 4000 has the rear main seal surface right on the flywheel too....I've NEVER had one of my clutch/flywheel/rear housing jobs come back either. I just put a 4100R in a 2000 F550 4x4 at work on Monday, the flexplate bolt torque was 85ftlbs.....Wierd that is was more.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I apologize for my tone , as Towcat said I have my own shop, I also work in a parts store, and put up with way too may shadetree mechanics, It gets ta ya when at the parts store a customer comes in ******** and moaning because he ahs replaced the same bearing 3 times , then ya ask what did ya tourque them and he gets an attitude with ya, of course installer error isnt the problem, its the junk ass parts problem.

6idi's man grow up you have a lot to learn, your replies were out of line.

Big rig. that is weird that the PSDs have such a higher tourque?

I doubt a $20.00 Haynes manual is going to be more accurate than the huundreds of hours of wrench time that the members of this forum have spent on these engines.
I actually have the $20 haynes manual, comes in handy for Tourque specs, ip line rouiting, and some trouble shooting.
I also have the big $$$$ ford books, along with thousands of $$$ in scanners and other manuals.

Also the comment was made about the experiance of the internet being better, UH look here ya got 16 different answers from as many different people. but the correct answers seem to have come from the professionals:dunno

Just because it is posted on the internet is it true?

Last edited:

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I apologize for my tone , as Towcat said I have my own shop, I also work in a parts store, and put up with way too may shadetree mechanics, It gets ta ya when at the parts store a customer comes in ******** and moaning because he ahs replaced the same bearing 3 times , then ya ask what did ya tourque them and he gets an attitude with ya, of course installer error isnt the problem, its the junk ass parts problem.

Just because it is posted on the internet is it true?

Double S, I hear what you're saying, I have spent more than a few years on the other side of the counter and under someone else's junk. I'm not the guy that you describe in your opening paragraph, though, so let's go from there.

I also understand your comment about the internet, but interestingly, the post you say is error free was posted on the internet. Hmm, a quandry. You could play this game all day. Like the manuals, They are written, aren't they? Do you believe everything you read? Wow, this makes my head hurt.

The bottom line is that I was after the experience of others who have done this job, not looking to the internet to save me from myself.

Anyway, I have the trans back out, because the rear main leaked after I put a few miles on the truck. Turns out I should have installed a repair sleeve on the crank to repair the wear groove , but I figured based on past experience that it would be OK. Oops! I was wrong! If this were a customer's vehicle I would have definitely used a repair sleeve..... I can take my lumps, though.

Off to Ford this morning for a repair kit, hoping to have this project done once and for all.

No hard feelings on this end, Double S, I hope there are none on your end either.

Greg

P.S. I can't wait to get this truck back on the road and running good...I got a trailer to pull next season for some more of this!

You must be registered for see images attach

Ford428CJ

FE Freak!
Reaction score
Greg

P.S. I can't wait to get this truck back on the road and running good...I got a trailer to pull next season for some more of this!

You must be registered for see images attach

Hey Greg, are you on the 460.com Forum??? I don't post there too much (more into the FE's myself LOL) but I was just wondering is all. I pop in from time to time.

Ford428CJ

FE Freak!
Reaction score
Come on guys! Cant we all get along. I know that people have bad days (because I know that I do). Just let it slide. Its a hard thing to do sometimes and not the easiest thing to do in the world! Just Do IT LOL.......JMHO

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Greg, are you on the 460.com Forum??? I don't post there too much (more into the FE's myself LOL) but I was just wondering is all. I pop in from time to time.

Yes, I am over there quite a bit. That's a great site, lots of cool builds going on all the time.

Greg

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Come on guys! Cant we all get along. I know that people have bad days (because I know that I do). Just let it slide. Its a hard thing to do sometimes and not the easiest thing to do in the world! Just Do IT LOL.......JMHO

Hey there,
No I wasnt chewing him out or arguing with him again. I sent him a PM to bring an end to it. Gave him information so he can see that I am not some stupid kid. Just some background on me, hoping he'd understand. i havent received a reply yet but he's probably pretty busy.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shawn and Nick, you guys are both well respected posters and not known for bickering. I hope you both chalk it up to a bad day and just move on. I don't like having to edit posts. Could it be the impending holidays? Aside from that, I cannot remember now if when I did Lady Moose's lucky mod, if I put anything on the threads or not. I know I re-used the bolts, that's for sure. :dunno

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Not sure why the torque is higher for the PSD, I just had my parts guy call the dealer to check it for me as I hadn't put one in one of those before.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I figured for the 5 speed there would be a difference, but why on the auto also?
Ive put waay to many clutches and flywheels in.
now if I can just get this POS mercury mistake figured out-cuss

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I figured for the 5 speed there would be a difference, but why on the auto also?
Ive put waay to many clutches and flywheels in.
now if I can just get this POS mercury mistake figured out-cuss

HAHA working on one of those Mistiques? I had one in the shop one day working on it for a girl I went to school with. Did you know you have to tear appart the whole front suspension just to change the alternator? Thats the dumbest thing I've ever seen.
cookoo

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I'm used to working on big Eaton-Fuller/Meritor transmisions or old Ford stuff like C4's and C6's....This light auto stuff isn't regular in my shop, being the so-called "Ford expert" in the shop I got the job...LOL

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread. But you must know the Guy's from the Texas-Outsiders then???? Mark A.

Yep, just had some beers with Mark this afternoon. He's a hell of a good guy, and the main reason my car is back together again after nearly two decades of monkeying around.

In fact, I have an Outsiders decal on the backglass of my Torino and run in their Nostalgia Muscle Car class.

Do you have anything to do with the "poor man's 427" project?

Greg