Sealer on flywheel bolts? Torque values of flywheel bolts?

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I am going to be putting this thing back together after repairing the rear main seal oil leak...long story there....

Anyway, it looks like the crankshaft bolt holes go all the way through the flange and into the crankcase. Does this pose an oil leak hazard?

Does loctite seal the threads well enough?

What is the proper torque value for the flywheel to crank bolts, and for the bolts holding the DMF together?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to do this right.... :hail

Thanks in advance,

Greg

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Torque is like less than 40lbs, but I put them at 45 plus loctite. Also, yes you need to use a thread sealant on the bolts. I used a liquid thread sealer on the bottom of the threads and then loctite above the sealer. A white marshmellow looking stuff. lol
Should work.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
:rtfm ya can good one at the parts store for less than 20.00
its downright amazing the projects people take on with out having a repair manual, even if you only read it for the tourque values.

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:rtfm ya can good one at the parts store for less than 20.00
its downright amazing the projects people take on with out having a repair manual, even if you only read it for the tourque values.

Thanks for the help. Not.

I appreciate 6IDI's response much more.

Greg

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
TOO BAD THE INFO IS WRONG.
straight from the book TQ is 47 ftlbs
and use loctite, no sealer needed.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I managed to shear my bolts off--which left us stranded obviously. I don't know if they were over torqued or if it was because I reused them. Needless to say I won't reuse bolts on my flywheel again. Specs used the second time: 3/8-16 grade 8. Torque is 47 ft lb and I used blue loctite.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
TOO BAD THE INFO IS WRONG.
straight from the book TQ is 47 ftlbs
and use loctite, no sealer needed.

Dud if it was wrong why did you just *say so in the first place. Dont run the guy around in circles. The only book we have is for the 6.9 so maybe I was wrong. But guess what. Since you said your smart ass comment instead of pointing out that I was wrong, the guy probably put his flywheel in with the wrong torque.
I honestly hate it when people do stuff like that on forums. I dont know everything and I know I dont know everything. Sometimes Im wrong.
That just really torques me off when people are like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Dud if it was wrong why did you just ******* say so in the first place. Christ almighty. Dont run the guy around in circles. The only book we have is for the 6.9 so maybe I was wrong. But guess what. Since you said your smart ass comment instead of pointing out that I was wrong, the guy probably put his flywheel in with the wrong torque.
I honestly hate it when people do stuff like that on forums. I dont know everything and I know I dont know everything. Sometimes Im wrong.
That just really torques me off when people are like that.

....torques me off i get it! LOL :rotflmao

-Jon cookoo

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
like I stated, how the F can ya even begin to work on a vehicle without a Fing book?:dunno :dunno
I see it all the time when Im fixing F'ed up crap.

Dont get me wrong Ill help anyone I can , but for gods sake help yourself first.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My posting about this got lost for some reason.:dunno I use copper plus by permatex and never have a leak but.... When I just removed the bolts that I torqued to 47 lbs after 180 miles driven and some were less than that. I will use Blue loctite on this second job thats for sure. A service manual is important to have but this is a great site for helping out when its really needed. Just think how much money we save each other and not sending us to the stealership.... You know they don't know much about our older trucks anymore. Times do change but I'll still be-a-driven my idi....:love:

Last edited:

motrack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come now children.......... this kind of bickering I expect to see over at TDS........ Not on this site!!

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
50 ft/lbs, red loctite, permatex thread sealer....done.....

I have been wrenching for a long time, and don't need to be told to "look at the book" or to "help myself first".

I was sent to this forum by someone who I respect, and I am certain he didn't have guys like double-s in mind when he sent me here.

The help I did get here is MUCH appreciated.....This is a great site!

Greg

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok lets look at the feasibility of using two different compounds AKA Permatex thread sealant, AKA Marshmellow, and some locktite farther up the bolt ok!

First putting the marshmellow goo on the end of the bolt and inserting it into said threaded hole will inevitably force marshmellow goo to flow up the threads on the bolt because your threading the bolt into the hole.

Second putting Locktite onto the upper portion of the Bolt is negated by having the Marshmellow Goo forced up the threads of the bolt because you are turning the bolt into the hole forcing the goo up the bolt

Third having two compounds does not guarantee proper seal of a bolt or locking of the bolt because we do not know how the two different compounds interact with one another!

Forth. Having a manual to go by is far superior to having some home concocted plan of multiple compounds and I think the TQ is xx but I go yy just to be safe.

Education and following procedures is always a much better plan than the SOTP plan.

There will always be mistakes within the information in threads in forums and the openness of the forum should be a breeding ground of education and help not FLAMING.

All in all follow the manufacturers procedures and values unless you are an over educated engineer with years of experience that stack the odds in your favor over those who designed the product your workin on in the first place!

Perhaps we can enlist someone in the community here to take and scan or list all TQ Values and post those in the TECH section so we can have them handy for those days when we have a puter but no paper manual, that would help so much more than the silly bickering going on here.

JMHO for what it's worth.

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put red loctite in the threads of the crankshaft. I put permatex thread sealer on the bolt, starting 3/8" from the beginning of the threaded end of the bolt. I presume this would preclude mixing of the two agents.

It was pretty lame of a certain poster to simply say "read the book" when he obviously had the torque values memorized.

One of the things I liked about this site when I joined was how the ingenuity of the IDI owners overcame factory BS. It was nice to see folks using their brains and common sense to keep these trucks running.

I doubt a $20.00 Haynes manual is going to be more accurate than the huundreds of hours of wrench time that the members of this forum have spent on these engines.

I kinda figured that the purpose of this forum was to spread the vast experience of long time IDI'ers out to where the new guys could learn by those experiences. I hope I was not wrong.

Just my two cents.

Greg

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok guys....
Let's all step back for a moment here.
I can't answer to why Double S posted the way he did today, for most of the time he's really helpful. It's very possible that he's having a bad day. Being a shop owner too, I can understand having days like that.
I have a couple of the Haynes books around, mainly for reference for specs. It's pretty good for that since I do find myself forgetting more these days. I know soon enough there will be a spec reference listing in the "Tech articles" section but posting stuff of that precision and volume takes time. Be patient.
I'd like to think that we have evolved beyond STD, in many ways we have. There's guys here who have a ton on knowledge and experience unfortunately there's also been a few guys who have also moved on. What they have posted is not lost if the search function is used. Nice thing about this place is that the search function really does work compared to other sites. Honestly though, I really doubt anyone who is into the IDI will be able to find a place where the veterans of the site are very accessible to the newcomers, but we do have our "bad days" too. I don't mind the repeat of questions, but I do mind when those who wander in wanting to be "spoon fed" recipes to make their truck "go fast" and then complain about the cost.
Outside of that guys....tomorrow is a new day, we all will feel better;Sweet
thanks everyone who helped out today though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online