Sagging front end..

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this is the wrong section forgive me. I figured here is where the old ford truck lovers are so they'd probly know what's wrong.

Being a diesel, I know it's nose heavy to begin with. Although mine is sagging more then it should I know for sure. The springs still have some arch left in them so I don't think it's them, the hangers look good but not sure if they need replacing or not. The tires are 265/75/r16 and they almost are rubbing on the plastic pieace under the bumper.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
wow iv never seen one that low before! 9 times out of 10 its the springs. They had a 2 spring pack for each side with whats called a negative arch spring. they actually arch downward. over time they sag. Do you have a picture?

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow iv never seen one that low before! 9 times out of 10 its the springs. They had a 2 spring pack for each side with whats called a negative arch spring. they actually arch downward. over time they sag. Do you have a picture?

Yea heres one. I looked at the bump stops and there's a good 1-1/4 inch between them.

You must be registered for see images attach

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
o i thought it was worse than that but by seeing the little piece of leaf that is sticking out of the back of the tire in the pic..they are sagging and thats your issue

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
o i thought it was worse than that but by seeing the little piece of leaf that is sticking out of the back of the tire in the pic..they are sagging and thats your issue

You said there supposted to have a negative arch, so like a smile would be? And now it's a frown lol where would I get a new set?

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Check you axle pivot bushings, they are replaceable for cheap from Summit Racing.

What happens is the factory rubber bushings are large, and go bad quickly. Many of these trucks have metal to metal contact at those bushings. Since there is a lot of room it there, and the weight is on the tire, the axle is allowed to angle so your tires are like this, / \.

When you put the knew bushings in, the inner end of the axle will go up, and therefore correct the angle.

That being said, mine happens to have three leafs, they appear to have Ford numbers so the extra leaf may be an XLT or Lariat thing so I've also got that going for me.

The exchange is, the ride is horrible, I've driven trucks with two leafs and they are much nicer. I tried to pull of my third leaf and couldn't figure it out easily, so I gave up.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
You said there supposted to have a negative arch, so like a smile would be? And now it's a frown lol where would I get a new set?

no, right now your are negative arch. they are deffinately sagging...alot, my f250 has brand new negatine arches that i am getting re arched to positive to lift the front of the truck, then i am adding an extra positive arch leaf or so from an f350 with a d60 to keep them arched that way, then i am doing blocks in the rear.

CESMITH

1986F250 6.9
Reaction score
no, right now your are negative arch. they are deffinately sagging...alot, my f250 has brand new negatine arches that i am getting re arched to positive to lift the front of the truck, then i am adding an extra positive arch leaf or so from an f350 with a d60 to keep them arched that way, then i am doing blocks in the rear.

Matt can you get them re arched ( OEM springs). I tryed puting on add-a-leafs and allI got was gaps inbetween the springs. And then there are issues with the shackel. I would love to do a shackel reversal and positive arched springs and still only gain 2inches;Sweet

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
yea i was going to re-arch then add some f350 leafs for support. i know rearched springs have a tendancy to un-arch them selves

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you ever delt with general spring that looks like just the ticket wonder what the quality is ? diesent price ;Sweet

I just googled "ford f250 springs" and that's was the first link to came up. Seems like a good company.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online