Safe Towing Weight

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have grossed 37,000 with my 85 6.9na 4spd almost everyday this week. Dual trailers loaded with scrap iron. 30ft GN and 30ft FB. Had to buy the permit that allows me to go up to 95ft long, 15ft wide, 15ft tall, and 46,000 lbs. It was a turtles pace at 45-50 the whole 80 miles with hills and what not.

And that permit made it legal to tow that kind of weight? :S

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It would be a 30' tag trailer with a dry weight of about 7000 lbs. I pulled it with my 95 dodge 3/4 ton diesel couple years ago. No problems.

7000 you shouldn't have any trouble with with a good hitch setup. That is well within the comfort range

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And Also what is the n/a idi I keep seeing on here? I'm new to fords.

Natural Aspirated. IDI is the mechanical injected [6.9 and 7.3 ] engines. And I must say, the toughest and [almost] bullet-proof motors ever built.

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it seems that way. Only problem is the body of my truck is really badly rusted out. Cab mounts are starting to go haha.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
What do you mean by a good hitch? I'm new ish to the techy part of towing.

A good solid frame mounted receiver should be rated for 10,000 and an equilizer hitch setup with the snap bars will take some of the load and distribute it through the frame to the steer axle ( by putting the coupling under tension it pulls down on the steer tires trasnferring some of the weight off the drive tires and making it easier /safer to handle . Something like this setup

Flagship

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:idiot:

that statement doesn't belong under this thread title;
Safe Towing Weight.

i hope you get fined up the ass before you kill someone rather than after.

My guess is you didn't look at his location. :oops: The weight means little, it's the number of braking axles and the tire loading. All day long, I run a big rig at 132,000 lbs. on two lane roads (speed limit of 70 MPH). Two trailers, 100 feet long, 11 axles. Been doing it for 5 years now and have killed only foolish deer. You can be sure that if Montana issued a permit, the unit was safe for the highway.

SIMP5782.. way to go! With an IDI! I'm impressed. ;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
My guess is you didn't look at his location. :oops: The weight means little, it's the number of braking axles and the tire loading. All day long, I run a big rig at 132,000 lbs. on two lane roads (speed limit of 70 MPH). Two trailers, 100 feet long, 11 axles. Been doing it for 5 years now and have killed only foolish deer. You can be sure that if Montana issued a permit, the unit was safe for the highway.

SIMP5782.. way to go! With an IDI! I'm impressed. ;Sweet

Yup, Most folks aren't familiar with what can actually be run on the highways in different places. Sounds like you pull Rocky Mountain Doubles. Those things are insane., .
In a lot of southern and western states they use hotshot rigs for oilfield delivery work and they pull some SERIOUS heavy pipe trailers and other such critters, but as long as there's enough weight capacity on the trailer and braking capacity, they will issue permits for it, and in some states if you have farm plates you are weight exempt as long as you are hauling agricultural products or equipment and they basically won't ( and legally can't) give you any trouble unless you have the thing so obviously overloaded that it *looks* dangerous ( tires bulging ,, springs layed over, you get the idea, farm lobby is pretty strong still in some states , stronger than the retired RV crowd :)

Flagship

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rocky Mountain Doubles are where there is a 40 0r 45 foot trailer on the tractor, and a usually 28 foot pup behind that. The trailers I pull are both the same size, bottom dump hoppers. I haul coal from the mine to the power plant here in town. 5 trips a day, 323 miles. No interstate, 25 miles of gravel, 20 miles off road, the rest two lane twisty, hilly East Montana terrain. The trucks run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

My regular assigned truck, a 2009 Kenworth has 461,000 miles on it. Our 2011s have over 150,000. They don't sit around!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Rocky Mountain Doubles are where there is a 40 0r 45 foot trailer on the tractor, and a usually 28 foot pup behind that. The trailers I pull are both the same size, bottom dump hoppers. I haul coal from the mine to the power plant here in town. 5 trips a day, 323 miles. No interstate, 25 miles of gravel, 20 miles off road, the rest two lane twisty, hilly East Montana terrain. The trucks run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

My regular assigned truck, a 2009 Kenworth has 461,000 miles on it. Our 2011s have over 150,000. They don't sit around!

That's some serious work there . You've got those beasts that really like to go in a straight line, in a place where nothing is straight . Thank goodness for power steering :hail ( I had a 72 Kenworth without it, not fun but great excersize ) If anyone around here wants to learn how to drive ( or test their ***** retention :eek: they need to go take a ride with you LOL