Safe to use synthetic oil during summer?

George_7.3IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure but I couldn't remember if it would be safe to run synthetic oil during the summer. I'm looking at running Valvoline Premium Blue Heavy Duty Diesel 5W40. Just wanted to make sure because being up here in Fairbanks, AK you pretty much have to run synthetic during the winter and if it is going to be ok to run synthetic during the summer then I could just switch straight over to synthetic. I have been running my truck with 15W40 non synthetic Valvoline and although it is definitely cheaper I think it would be easier to run synthetic year round and not have to worry about changing oil in between the winter and summer seasons.

Thanks
George

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
George, I honestly can't think of a single reason not to run a quality synthetic that isn't based on rumor or "My granpap run Rotella an' my paw run Rotella an' I run Rotella an we aint never had no engine break on us"... It's more likely they had good luck with their engines simply because they did regular oil changes.. I'll be the first to say I'm not an oil guru, but from the research I've done there seem to be very few regular oils that can match the lubricity and thermal tolerance ability of most decent quality synthetics. I realize I probably opened a can of worms here.. Most likely nobody answered you until now because they didn't want to get lambasted from the hardcore petroleum oil proponents here-abouts' (I noticed there are 50 people looking at the idi forum right now) and frankly, neither do I.. So I'm going to bed now, G'night!:sly:D

starmilt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
George, I don't see a problem, lots of big trucks run synthetic year round.

Just curious what do you do in fairbanks. Hopefully I'll be headed back up in a couple of weeks.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Of course you can. I run Amsoil 15w40 diesel and marine year round . Works great in the dead heat of summer and flows down to -44 deg f. You could run the stuff year round up there even( heck it starts getting down around -44 and even my truck is going to be plugged in... I've started her in the -30 range on one cycle of the plugs

DragRag

Reaction score
I will not waste my money on synthetic, idi engines are just to cheap to be had these days, not worth it if you factor the costs. It's strictly cost with me on these trucks. Now if it's some family heirloom or something, that may justify it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running the amsoil 15w-40 Diesel and Marine. I definitely think it's fine in the Florida heat and I'm sure it would rare for you guys to have even one day that's hot by Florida standards up there. My synthetic use is basically about trying to improve wear numbers reduce friction and oil consumption. I have logged about 3500 miles on it so far so I have no idea if it has been effective or not yet. I'm very curious to see what oil analysis says and if it continues to have less burnoff with a few miles than some of the other stuff I've used. I'm not knocking the conventional motor oil, there certainly are some very good products out there in the petroleum based stuff but I just wanted to try something a little different and see if at the same time I could help the truck out a bit. Curiosity basically.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I think 5W40 synthetic would be fine in the summer.

I have heard of guys using much thinner oil in hotter climates than yours so you shoudl be fine.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I will not waste my money on synthetic, idi engines are just to cheap to be had these days, not worth it if you factor the costs. It's strictly cost with me on these trucks. Now if it's some family heirloom or something, that may justify it.

Amen!

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
MMmmm HHhhmm... and I'm runnin' the Amsoil 15w40 diesel & marine myself, but also their bypass filter. I'll be getting my oil tested for $20 every 5 or 6k and most likely have to change it in 15 to 18k barring any major changes in engine function while you are changing every, what... 2 to 3k? Admittedly my oil costs twice as much, but I'm changing once to your probably 5 or 6 changes? I still come out cheaper plus I get better protection/less friction/higher thermal tolerance. Not trying to be an ass or shake my finger in your face, but like I said in the first post, I did do my homework before I made the change. See, you would just have to understand how cheap I am by nature..LOL!

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine leaks dino, will go through a gallon to a gallon and a half between changes, but with the synth in it, it barely uses a quart....
I usually run around 8-9K on the oil changes too.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I run it year round as well, but don't see the lows in the winter you do. I run 10,000 miles on it in my gassers and will do the same once the IDI is switched but would probably consider a filter change halfway through. That's 3 oil changes if you do it every 3000 miles, so do the math, I think you'll find synthetic is not that bad! I'm no oil guru either, but I am a machinist and have seen engines run in similar conditions using both, nearly no wear in synthetic. We did standard engine overhauls on patrol cars and they finally went to a synthetic only rule. I've also sold my last three vehicles with 345,000 miles, 270,000 miles and 190,000 miles on them, all gassers and many of those miles were highway, but I'm not easy on them in that I run them when the urge/need arises. I have 180,000 on my current vehicle and 100,000 on my van. ALL have been on synthetic and I've never experienced the leak issues and such that we've all heard about. Valve covers leak badly on my 6.9, going to stud/gasket it in the near future, so they'll get fixed then and it will go synthetic at that point.

George_7.3IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
George, I don't see a problem, lots of big trucks run synthetic year round.

Just curious what do you do in fairbanks. Hopefully I'll be headed back up in a couple of weeks.

I work for Telephone Services at the University as a technician.

Also thanks everyone for your feedback. I just wanted to make sure that running the 5W40 during the summer wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks
George

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online