S1600 Rebuild

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a newb here with a 1986 S1600 dump truck. I purchased this truck over two years ago now and absolutely love it. It was very reliable for the first two years. Then she started eating oil. Long story short head gasket let go and I bent a rod.

I know that some of the early 6.9 blocks are not recommended to be rebuilt. But I checked the numbers on my block and it was not one of those thankfully. So I tore it down and had a local shop rebuild it. I have some basic knowledge of working on trucks but could sure use some of the collective knowledge from guys on this site. This is my ambitious project.
You must be registered for see images attach

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some photos of the condition of the engine when i pulled it. Yuk!

Yeah that's oil grease and rat turds.

Last edited:

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is where I am now. I received my motor back from the shop rebuilt. I am awaiting a service repair manual that I ordered off ebay. I have a couple of issues I need help identifying some sensors. I ordered a new oil pressure sensor, water temp sensor, and oil temp sensor. One of the sensors was not what I was expecting it to look like. Here they are.

old sensors in front new ones in back. Anyone know what the one with the white plastic on it is for? Oil pressure?

Though I was getting the sensor on the left and got the sensor on the right.

Last edited:

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would be the benefits of having aftermarket gauges? I need this truck back to work as soon as reasonably possible because it is a work truck for me.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Pretty sure his tuck has actual reading gauges that show actual water temp and oil pressure unlike the stock gauges in our Fords that just show "Normal"

A pyrometer would be a good investment though!

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I will leave it all stock. I am awaiting a repair manual I ordered to help me along. I also ran into a snag with the injector pump. When I opened it up to check it out the threads completely striped out of the housing:mad: So it looks like I need a new one of those. The lines where pretty gross looking too. I have the pump at a local shop right now and I am waiting for them to get back to me with a price on a rebuild, he is also looking at the injectors for me. Does any members have any suggestions/ advice on rebuilding acquiring injector pumps, lines? Also, any other engine component I should be looking at while this thing in on my garage floor and not so greasy.
Rebuilt motor:

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure his tuck has actual reading gauges that show actual water temp and oil pressure unlike the stock gauges in our Fords that just show "Normal"

A pyrometer would be a good investment though!

Yes my truck has gauges. For pressure, coolant, and battery voltage.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I would check the seats on the freeze plugs, are they fully engaged, did they use the correct stainless plugs, did they use sealant of some sort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online