RSK trac bar location....

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Since I'm converting to 4x4 i need to drill the frame crossmember for the trac bar mount. Now i know it's recommended to go with the adjustable trac bar, but couldn't i just bolt the axle in, bolt the arm to the bracket, then mark the holes where it sits and drill the holes? Or is there geometry I'm not thinking of with the longer bar....

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the holes not there already in the engine cross memeber? Should be three holes that line up to the cross member on the transmission side of it. Let me see if I have a pic that shows it. I can't believe they used a different engine cross member on the 2wd trucks.. Maybe they did.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It bolts here. If you zoom in you can see the holes clearly. Stupid phone and editing pics just don't mix.

You must be registered for see images attach

The three holes to the right in a big triangle. I suppose you could move the mount to avoid having to get the adjustable track bar. Me, I'd be afraid I wouldn't get it just right and would end up either moving it again or buying the adjustable track bar anyway.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably worth a look. I don't know for sure. Was it freebird that did this a while back? He did a 2wd to 4wd I think.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Yeah i remember him telling me the other day about it. I think as long as the angles are close I'll get the axle in, sit the bar where it wants to be and bolt it there. The length shouldn't matter, just as long as the angle is close. Hell it's leaf springs, a track bar isn't even necessary.

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as i have researched it, the trac bar should be at the same angle as the pitman arm to prevent bump steer. But since you are running a reverse shackle, shouldn't be too much of a problem.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, the track bar may not even be needed with the D60 IF the shackles are at the rear of the springs and not at the front. The track bar was most definitely needed because of the shackles being at the front, and Ford left the shackles in the front with the D60 because the chassis was already designed that way with for the TTB. I know my 1978 F250 with a D60 in the front from the factory got along just fine with no track bar. Do the 99 up Superduty's still have a track bar? Never really looked that close at one.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The S/D's do indeed have a track bar from the factory.
The one on my 00 was long gone due to a broken axle side bracket with no ill effects.

I run a rear mounted shackle with v codes in my wheeling rig with no track bar, and it drives as well as something on large interco tires can.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think i'm going to take it off and see how it feels..... if it feels tippy, i'll throw it on....
on a stock spring setup, a worn out trackbar is often linked to deathwobble. remember, the springs are not aligned to the axle in a perfact "H" pattern. the front of the chassis is necked inwards a few inches creating more of an open "A" geometry. With your RSK it should be a non-issue, since the pivot is no longer in the front, but still, use caution.