Rough idle when truck restarts even when warm

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So cold start the truck starts like its sucking air, never dies though and doesnt lope, I can drive for 15 miles get out start the truck again after sitting for 15 minutes and this rough idle is back, truck doesnt smoke, new IP, passenger side bank of injectors have viton o rings on, driver side has some generic brand I got with pensacolas kit, all injectors new BB code, new IP and return lines, cant find any air intrusion on tank lines, I also dont think its a bad lift pump :dunno

any suggestions fellas ;Sweet also the rough idle will go away in like 30-45 seconds- important part of this equation;Really

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No smoke with the rough idle? Not even grayish/white?
I would think the timing may be retarded...when it does this jump the timing advance solenoid with 12v and see if it diminishes.

Mine does this but I have a worn, 100k IP.

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope no smoke at all, hint of grey when the truck starts first of the day at 40 degrees but thats it, my IP has about 190 miles on it and my injectors have about 500 miles

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok its in the am now, havent started the truck at all today, I think I'll advance the pump a hair and see what happens

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
When you redid the O-rings, and caps did you replace the Olives in the brass fittings towards the back of the motor?

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you redid the O-rings, and caps did you replace the Olives in the brass fittings towards the back of the motor?

not even sure what your talking about to be honest :dunno

I started the truck and it was idling at like 500 rpm, so I bumped timing and screwed in the throttle nut some more and havent experienced the shudder today but havent really driven anywhere, so I guess we'll see what happens

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm so I went for a ride, pulled up to the stop light and the idle was real rough, rpms were steady and truck had a full tank of gas, came to next stop light 50ft away and the idle was gone, I'm completely lost now on what this could be, does is sound like a lift pump aybe? truck drives fine at highway speed though, I have 4500 miles on a wix fuel filter but I don't think a dirty fuel filter would do this, also when I started the truck cold with the high idle activated it smoked diesel smell for a good 15 seconds but cleared up it was about 45 degrees out

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
hmm so I went for a ride, pulled up to the stop light and the idle was real rough, rpms were steady and truck had a full tank of gas, came to next stop light 50ft away and the idle was gone, I'm completely lost now on what this could be, does is sound like a lift pump aybe? truck drives fine at highway speed though, I have 4500 miles on a wix fuel filter but I don't think a dirty fuel filter would do this, also when I started the truck cold with the high idle activated it smoked diesel smell for a good 15 seconds but cleared up it was about 45 degrees out

change the filter and go from there

gatorman21218

Reaction score
You need to go to filterbarn.com Napa will kill you with those filters. I got Cornbinder fuel filters for 9 bucks a piece. And if you order 100 bucks worth you get free shipping. (of course i ordered 12 filters)

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah thats pretty nice because the wix I get is the 33617 and its 33 bucks

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so new wix fuel filter and it still did it, not so much on start up but going light to light, stop shakes, next light that 100ft away I stop and its gone, no idea what it is, took the truck for a sprited ride with my foot to the floor for about 10 miles hoping to knock somthing loose maybe in one of the nozzles so I guess we'll see tomorrow in the mean time, suggestions please!!

EDIT: yeah so I took the truck for a ride again and its starting to shake again, really ******* me off now

Last edited:

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will do, I'm going to check tech articles because I know somthing about the cam has to be in the right position or something otherwise it will dump diesel into the oil pan and I don't need that, I also don't want one of the electric pumps

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Before you go messing with the lift pump get a good mechanical gauge and hook it up to the fuel system. You want to see at least 4 psi at the filter head