Rotella T5 Question

autotech84601

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Does anyone use this in their truck? Is this an acceptable oil for my 7.3idi? Thanks for the info!

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Its good oil and that's a screaming deal for it. Last time I was in wal-mart it was over 16 a gallon for T5

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used it, tried T6 also. Truck consumes more than straight Rotella. I run Rotella 10w30 for winter if I can't get T5 or T6 on sale.

BTW, Rotella is good for wet clutch applications (JASO rated). Great stuff for atvs, bikes, etc.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good price for it. I run T6 in my IDI and TDI and grab it from Walmart when they have their $5 rebates going on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I normally run Rotella T6 though have cheaped out with T5 now and again for topping off between oil changes. Have read tests that Mobil1 is better (though only slightly) so far as high pressure scratch/wear resistance. Probably biggest thing in our engines that may affect is rockers, since we have roller cams. Plenty of guys running dino Rotella or Delo though. Don't think our engines have many oil related early failures. MNy personal reasons for synthetic are mainly around higher temperature tolerance and concerns about turbo life and the turbo heating the oil, not so much the engine itself. Cold starts sure are nicer with the 5w synthetic too, oil pressure comes up quicker and it'll crank faster. In my farily uneducated opinion though, T5 is a fine oil for our engines.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What weight is the oil in the pic? I can't tell. My truck slurps 15w40. I tried 5w40 and it burned it so fast I added STP to thicken it up. I have never tried 10w30 but I'll assume it will slurp that quickly too