ROAD TRIP

milightfo

BLACK SMOKE
Reaction score
well after working on my truck for the last year i hope she's ready for her first roadtrip,my wife wants to take the new truck but i say we take the 84 out and let her stretch her legs,only 500 miles 1 way to oliver springs tenn,from florida and hauling 3 four wheelers on a gooseneck ,hopefully i have all the bugs worked out.what should i take with me other than basic tools?thanks for any ideas

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shell be fine, mines in far worse condition then yours and i was putting 600 a week on her up until a few weeks ago. That was cruisin at 75 and sometimes pulling a trailer.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Spare belts... A roll of duct tape incase a hose breaks.... Or spare top and bottom rad hoses. Heater hoses... Spare fuel filter. Usually that all you really need. Some like me carry almost a complete motor behind and under the rear seat.....:eek::rotflmao So some will say.... Maybe a spare ford only thermostat...... A really good spare tire.... Good to know you have one... Its no fun dropping down a ruined spare tire.... My daughters horse trainer was loosing tires off her triple axle 8 horse trailer out in AZ and new mexice. When they throw thread they take the aluminum fenders too. Then the guy that comes out to sell her a tire and rim charges right at $500.00....:eek:-cuss:mad:cookoo And he sells her the same crappy Winland tire made in China that she just lost the thread on... I tried to tell her not to buy those but when they got you by the short hairs... Whatca gonna do... She finally has a good set of american made tires not.... Plus two spares... Hasn't lost a tire since.... Been about 2 years now... I have seen a goodyear st marathon tire blow while sitting in the spare rack on a horse trailer too. It never saw the road either.... Another trailer tire I wont use... Those throw thread so easily. I thought it was me but after I lost 5 tires I changed brands.... Never had another tire let go either. I run Charslie now. 15 inch trailer and "D" rated... None of that "C" rated crap for me annd only a radial tire will do. When I was "testing these charslie tires I told the **** job at the tire store what I wanted. I tried one tire and needed to make a run. I got 150 miles from the store and looked at the new tire.... It wasn't a radial tire but my reciete said it was... So when I got back there I let him really have a ear full of me... Even then he sent some guy to another store to get me what I wanted... Nope... The fool came back trying to install the same non radial type tire... Had to stop him and teach him how to read... Never did go back there again... Bought my other 4 tires from Just Tires near my home..... No problem with getting what I want there but... I surelly do look at what I'm buying and see that its going on my rims too.... Ya just can't trust anyone these days.... I'm wondering what our tire guy here on this site will comment on all this long winded stroke I'm having.... Somebody throw me a bone....... :cry: I'm so lonely... The wifeys been out of town now almost 2 weeks and I'm so lonely......;ReallyLOL:D Nope really but its nice to talk......:rotflmao

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better hope that truck does it's thing or you'll never hear the end of it from your wife I'd guess. I'd personally take a set of spare belts and if you can afford spare hoses that would be great. You must have enough oil for an oil change and at least a couple of gallons of water for the rad. Duct tape and some extra fuel hose and some 12 ga wire and connectors for redneck limp home fixes are also probably a really great idea. Also you might want to figure out who's between here and your destination, we're always glad to help each other out one of the really great things about this online community. In this case I'm not really sure who you're passing but we do have a couple of guys in TN, not sure about who all is in Georgia.

BigNick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ incanfixall...

Carlisle's are junk. They came on my dad's 23' four winns, all 4 tires on that trailer, included the spare, have all had the tread let go within 3 years of the initial purchase... tires were always properly inflated before a trip, and the tires have seen less than 1500 total miles.

the last one went on a trip to north carolina... he saved the last tire, put it in a box, and mailed it to carlisle, with a particularly nasty letter.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Gee, Gary, take a breath! I am of the opinion that the tires do best if you don't care too much. Of course you want to run the radials that you bought, not the bias plies (they still make those?), but I'm not sure a brand makes much difference any more. Just like Big Nick said they are junk, you swear by them. It is like the discussions on oil brands or PB blaster vs. Kroil vs. liquid wrench. Everyone has an opinion, not necessarily yours (which is, of course, the right one ;Sweet).