Right rear brake locking up

rmckee242

Reaction score
I had the same problem on my 97 dually. E brake cable on passenger side wasn't stuck but it wasn't releasing all the way. So my shoes were partially expanded on the passenger side all the time. Brake job and removed that cable until i got a new one and problem solved. My understanding of the self adjusters on my truck is that they adjust when the parking (e brake) is applied. When I did the brake job made sure all of the self adjuster linkage was free and haven't had any problems with backing off or needing adjustment since. That was about three months ago.

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hot drum

I just drove the truck 8 miles, immediately put it up on stands and the pass rear wheel spun freely. I was thinking I would find that the brake was at least partially engaged. The back shoe was cracked, I think from heat. The pass drum was definitely hotter than the other drum. (4 months ago I pulled both drums off and some of the brake material fell off of the rear shoe of both rear wheels- an indication of overheating.) One time I felt the drum and could only keep my thumb on it for 1 second or it would have burned me. The E brake lever moved freely and both E brake cables moved freely along their entire length.

BigRedWeather

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online