reprogrammed ECM

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, sorry to hear that, I was hoping to hear good things about it. I dont recall reading anything about the ECM requiring an intercooler. Do you have any way of measuring the intake temp? I can't find the money to do the ECM, so I certainly cant afford to do an intercooler. I dont understand why they are so expensive anyway. I see them all the time for riceburner cars, and while they are smaller, they are wicked cheap money. And it isnt like the pickup I/C is gigantic. I guess it must have to do with demand; there just arent that many of us needing one. I'm still curious to know if a small ricer I/C would help at all on a diesel pickup.
I am still not happy with the way my mechanical wastegate controller works. its okay if I dont hold it wide open throttle, but too often it overboosts and sets a code. Ive turned it down over and over and Im running 10 lbs at 70 mph empty. What I'm worried about is pulling a trailer up hills. I just picked up my new camper last weekend, its a 33 footer weighing 10,900. I pulled it home about 10 miles and it towed beautiful, but I think the boost was a little bit higher than normal. When I go on vacation I go through the mountains, and I'm afraid the boost will just climb and climb the more load is put on it. If it keeps overboosting and dumping, I dont know how Im going to get up the hills. I might just put the crappy factory system back on. at least that doesnt overboost.
Hey, I gotta run right now but I'll talk to you again soon. I'm interested to see what happens with the dyno.
See ya, Dan

Joey D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you run the tubo master? If so I have something for you that will stop the over boost code, check your PM's.
With the higher boost #'s you get higher intake temps resulting in the fuel cutting back and the power dropping off which is where the intercooler will help. My truck will hit 14lbs and only drops to 11 when it hits high revs, over 3000.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Joey, I have a friend who got Heath's ECM and is having the same results as you. According to the scanner it now gives it 79cc's of fuel over the stock 64, but is actually slower going from 0-60. went from 13ish to 14ish. He is not very pleased with the results that it gave...

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's new, anything? I've been out of touch for a while, my computer has been sick. I think it's all better now.
I turned my TM down even more and now I'm happy with it. I pulled my camper up north on memorial day weekend, the old truck made me proud. Didnt get into the mountains, but all the big hills I came to, she ate 'em right up.
How's that ECM doing, Joey? I'm talking myself right out of one. I'm leaning more toward doing propane, just for a little more power and economy. I dont really want to get huge HP from the propane, just enough to help out a little bit.
Speaking of economy, my mileage has gone up. My best tank ever was 13.75 a couple weeks ago, and I just got 13.49 including my camping trip pulling 10,900! that doesnt even make any sense! I only lost a 1/4 mpg pulling the camper? When I bought the truck I only got 11, the Stinger got me about 1 1/2 more, but all of a sudden I'm way over 13?
Ain't it nice not buying gasoline right now?

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody still reading this? Just pulled my camper about 200 miles, towed great, but some of the biggest hills slowed me down a lot, mostly because I couldnt get a run at them with the traffic in the way. I didnt like holding 13 lbs of boost for so long, no way of knowing what the intake temps were up to. EGTs stayed under 900, which was good. And my mileage keeps creeping up. 13.9, half of the time towing. I am really wishing I could get a little more power out of it, but I definitely cant afford an intercooler. I wonder if the propane helps cool intake air temps as its going in...? Anybody got any thoughts on that? Joey, did you notice any power difference when you were running your propane? Did you ever pull anything with it, or just normal driving around? I got the impression you werent real enthused about it.
Heaths website has changed again, now it says 60 or 65 hp, where it said 70-80 before, but no mention of dyno testing. I think an honest 65 hp would feel like a kick in the pants, considering its about 30% more than stock. My stinger was supposed to be I think 36 hp, and that was a noticeable difference.

rubberfish

Reaction score
Hi Dan. If your egt are that low, I wouldn't worry about the intake temps. If they were that hot it would show in your egt's. 13lbs is a good amount of boost for the 6.5 It sounds like it's not throwing anymore codes since you've turned the controller down a bit? And drugs WILL NOT cool down your temps. I know it's freezing cold when it sprays on your hand, but when it comes out the exhaust side it's hot, you'll see what I mean on your pyro. As for 70 hp gains,,,,,not on a 6.5, not in this life time anyways:)
Realistically you'd see 25-30 hp gains. After that it starts detonating like crazy. If this occurs you need to TURN IT OFF and lower the mixture. Don't let it sound like a train wreck. If you're straight piped it'll be even harder to hear it, so pay attention for the first while during the setup. If you want help let me know and I'll answer the questions that I can. Remember too that drugs are supposed to be ******* head gaskets as well. The 30hp kick in the shorts is nice though:D :D

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bob, I still set codes quite a bit, but it isnt overboosting, in fact I had the boost up pretty high on the trip and didnt set a code. I cant for the life of me figure out whats going on. It sounds crazy, but it almost always sets when I get on the highway heading east towards work. It never sets heading west bound however. ***? Both ways the motor is warmed up. I normally dont take the highway, unless Im in a hurry. I normally take the back road and go 55 without ever setting a code. I ran without the airbox cover for a little while, and it set a lot more until I put it back on. Also, rereading my post I think it sounded like I said I had propane. I dont, I want to get it but I cant afford it right now. I think it would have been perfect for towing the trailer; sometimes I need just a little more fuel and I have no way of getting it. Well, maybe someday.
So, your trucks all done? How do you like it? I'd like to hear about it.
Dan

gerry

Reaction score
ecm

we can supply one within 2 weeks call gerry@bd engine brake and let me know what you would like 1-800-887-5030

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't find it now, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the engine programming is not very effective on the factory heavy duty program, VIN code F, which is what I have.

ECMs are too expensive.

Joey D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan, I don't use the propane enough. I never mounted a tank and the bbq tank is always out because I haul lots of stuff. It does work. I got 30rwhp from it. But 30hp is kinda hard to feel while driving. I took the kit out at one time to sell but it was not working so the deal went sour. It just needed to be cleaned. I was unaware it could be cleaned.
I think the best thing to do at this point is an intercooler. I can feel the power cut back when I get on it and the boost climbs and stays there. This is the one thing that should have been done 1st thing after learning about the 6.5 more.
I will hold out on my final judgement on my Heath ECM until I do the intercooler. I did get his water injection kit but I just can't part with the space in the bed so it sits on the shelf.

Joey D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan, There is a little get together happening on the 24th, 25th and 26th in CT with some GM diesel guys. I will be there on the 25th and I think on the 26th they will be heading to the drags.

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer, I'm working the first two days, and the third I'm going to a swap meet. I'm dying to put a propane kit in. but moneys tight right now so its gonna have to wait. New baby this year, so the only toys I can buy are soft and fuzzy...

spindrift

Reaction score
JoeyD,

Sorry I missed you at the Get Together. It ws a great time. Wish there were more 6.5s in attendance; only three. I don't know where these guys with the DMax's get their money. I must be doin' something wrong. Funny thing though, it looked as though only one was a real work truck.

What's up with the pan?

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spindrift, did you run your truck? curious as to what kind of times it could pull down, we have some of the same mods.

Joey D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spin, I ended up doing service calls$$$ on friday and saturday. I wanted to go but $$ 1st. My truck is a work truck always loaded up so it would have been 2.
I have the pan, you want it? I am trying to buy a set of H2 wheels in NJ if the guy still has them I am heading down to get them maybe we can meet up. I will find out soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online