Report: Injection Pump and Injectors

lakesurfer

Reaction score
Report: Injection Pump and Injectors

I intalled the Baby Moose pump and Moose Mister injectors from Mel @Agnem at Conestoga Diesel. Since my IDIT 7.3 has a recently renewed factory turbo with a Wicked Wheel, I barely pull anything with it, and the Baby Moose delivers only 5cc more than a factory IDIT pump, I had Mel's reluctant "permission" to not install a pyrometer right away. It is on the to do list though.

Using the info on this forum and some good YT videos, I procured a ferret timing device and dynamically timed the setup. Here's the result after several happy months.

The truck starts right up with barely any smoke. Once warm you can't see the exhaust. At emissions testing recently it blew a zero for "opacity" which is the only thing they test. When accelerating, it blows some black smoke as predicted in Mels IP procedure, but is not excessive at all.

Fuel economy was mid-15 to low 16s before. Now it's high 16s to mid 17s, occasionally gusting to low 18s!! Not bad for a crew cab with 8' bed IMO.

The truck is noticably peppier too. I won't be beating any Powerstrokes off the line, but performance is confident and respectable.

Many thanks to this forum community and especially Mel and Conestoga Diesel for his published advice and his personal counsel for this project's success.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's awesome to hear! In my own long journey of maintaining and repairing my own and other of this generation trucks it helps to hear these positive stories of people out there also repairing them, driving them, upgrading them, and having great experiences doing so. It helps seeing that it's all worth it in the end to keep going!

I'm well over the IP need side of the fence and one of my trucks is NA so I'm not far behind ya haha

Steve (my partner and guardian of our bank account) has been researching Mel's website on the different pumps

lakesurfer

Reaction score
@Danielle : Glad you're stoked. Bear in mind I resolved all my fuel delivery issues first. That includes elimination of ALL air intrusion, resolving a weak lift pump, a high torque starter, and strong batteries.

The air intrusion thing can be frustrating. Part of my fuel line under the hood is some diesel rated nearly transparent fuel line I sourced from McMaster-Carr (p/n 6519T14). I can confirm there's no air coming from below this way.

Also, while all the IP and IP hard lines were off, I replaced all the glow plugs with Bosch/Beru ZD-9's and fabbed a new glow plug harness.

Good luck!