Replacing leaf springs

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am replacing all of the leaf springs on my 94 f250. I picked up a set of what appear to be hardly used springs from an obs f350, still have factory paint on them but the rear lower bushings are shot. I ordered a set of "rear, rearward" bushings from rockauto but they do not appear to be the correct bushings. Does anyone know where I can get the right bushings or what the correct part# is for them?

ISPKI

Reaction score
This is a picture of the bushing that is shot on my "new" Spring pack that I cant find. I may have a bar of steel that I could machine to replace it but I would be interested to know what it is and how to get it.

You must be registered for see images attach

ISPKI

Reaction score
I dont believe these bushings have a steel sleeve around them. At least, no sleeve came out wheb i torched the bushing out.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Energy poly bushings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

^^^ 2nd.

BTW, if you are replacing the front springs the F350 ones are not good for a D50 axle with the center pivot. The F250 front springs are much stronger than the F350 (and no, this is not backwards).

If you are getting all F350 springs... see if you can score the front axle also (D60 swap) :cool

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ISPKI

Reaction score
Those are the style that I am looking for CPDenton. I read that there are two different sizes for the rear springs, any idea what diameter those bushings are? My truck needs 1 5/16" bushings.

ISPKI

Reaction score
^^^ 2nd.

BTW, if you are replacing the front springs the F350 ones are not good for a D50 axle with the center pivot. The F250 front springs are much stronger than the F350 (and no, this is not backwards).

If you are getting all F350 springs... see if you can score the front axle also (D60 swap) :cool

I was told that the front springs that I picked up were from a 91 F350. They seem to be identical to mine except that my spring packs have 3 springs whereas the F350 springs only have 2. I was planning on taking two of my springs from my pack and combining them with the F350 springs to stiffen up the front end and raise it slightly.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, the 350 has less springs than the 250. I guess you could add one to the 350 pack to make it into a 250 set but dunno.
I have no idea why you would want to stiffen thing up! Frigging ride in these things are plenty stiff already, no? If you want height then I would suggest some kind of spacer or re-arch.

BTW, if you change the ride height you will change the camber. This is because of the pivot in the D50.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the top king pin bearing is off set so it can be rotated to correct the angle. I did mine with a carpenter's level and I got it real close. Make sure you check your angle before you go messing it up and set it back when you are done changing the springs. Good Luck.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Correct, the 350 has less springs than the 250. I guess you could add one to the 350 pack to make it into a 250 set but dunno.
I have no idea why you would want to stiffen thing up! Frigging ride in these things are plenty stiff already, no? If you want height then I would suggest some kind of spacer or re-arch.

BTW, if you change the ride height you will change the camber. This is because of the pivot in the D50.

My truck is mostly just a short distance hauling rig, mostly firewood and doing retrieval work in blizzards. I just want to minimize suspension sag as much as possible but I suppose that isnt hugely critical for the front.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is mostly just a short distance hauling rig, mostly firewood and doing retrieval work in blizzards. I just want to minimize suspension sag as much as possible but I suppose that isnt hugely critical for the front.

Raise it any higher than 1.5 inches over stock and you will be in trouble. The eccentric bushings you can buy for the upper balljoints won't be enough to bring it in.

You will know if you have messed up after you are done. Sit it on the ground and drive it forward a little bit and then stand back and look at the front tires. If they are sticking out at the top, you have indeed lifted some. Cross your fingers and hope they can get it back in alignment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online