replacing 6.9 with 7.3 idi

wrsainio

Reaction score
I just bought a rebuilt 7.3 idi still in the crate, that has sat around for 2 years. I want to use the 6.9 flywheel and new clutch, with the 7.3 harmonic balancer. Any problems using my 1986 6.9 inj pump after having it rebuilt? I will be installing a pulse hypermax, should I re-torque the heads and how much? I have to change the oil pan as it was for a Navistar application and the oil cooler. Should I get a 7.3 pan to have more capacity than my 10 qt 6.9 pan which I replaced about 5 years ago? If so is any year preferable? I plan on trying to check the cylinders with a borescope but there doesn't seem to be any signs of rust.Thanks for tour help.
Wilf

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no difference between a 6.9 and a 7.3 IDI pan. You may be thinking of the 7.3 PSD which does hold more oil.

No problem using the 6.9 IP, tell them it's going on a 7.3 turbo and they will set it up appropriately.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
you can use the injection pump off the 69 with no problems only difference is the plunger size in the pump I want to say (memory here) the 69 has a 17mm plunger and the 73 used a 21mm plunger - yes it's going to equate to just little less fuel but with cranking the rate screw up you can come close - it really won't be much of a different feeling in the seat of the pants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online