Removal of frame rivets?

Kelleyj1837

Reaction score
What is the best way to remove rivets from the frame i am replacing front leaf spring mounts. and we have saw different ideas like cutting the heads of with a torch, Grinding them off, Cutting a X into them and hitting them with a air hammer. Whats the best way you guys know of?:D:D

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
^:D

What i've done on ball joint rivets was to heat the head and use and air hammer with a chisel to cut the head off. It was much faster than cutting to drilling the head off.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wel if you are good with a cutting torch and you have a scarfing tip its not hard at all. Not many own a scarfing tip... Probably the safest way is as posted above. Cut an X and then a chiesel..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well having cut oh maybe two dozen of these rivets....my favorite method is torch, but then on a good day I'm not too bad an OP of one:sly:sly.

I've used Grinders, Air hammers....

TORCH and air hammer is best bet IMHO....

JM2CW

I suppose if I owned a plasma cutter I'd try it....as an option...

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Tnt placed just right does the trick lol

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well having cut oh maybe two dozen of these rivets....my favorite method is torch, but then on a good day I'm not too bad an OP of one:sly:sly.

I've used Grinders, Air hammers....

TORCH and air hammer is best bet IMHO....

JM2CW

I suppose if I owned a plasma cutter I'd try it....as an option...

Tried the plasma cutter, it just doesnt get in there very well, it's the only thing I'e ever found that a plasma cutter doesnt work to make surgical cuts on . Youll end up going into the frame, not good. Plasma cutter really is meant to cut pointing downm not across. We ended up doing the cutoff wheel and air chisel method as well ( with the addition of a nice blunt bit for the air chisel to punch those suckers through once the heads are knocked off

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you can see from the previous posts, you generally have to undermine the head of the rivet, and then chop it off with a chisel. The quickest way I found to remove metal from the head of the rivet was to drill it with about a 3/8 drill bit till the bit was at the depth of the frame, and then like the others use a chisel and hammer to chop the head of the rivet off.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plasma cutter worked for me in the past. but the cleanest way I have seen to far is an air chisel to peel the head off the rivet then a punch bit to force the shaft of the rivet out.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
As you can see from the previous posts, you generally have to undermine the head of the rivet, and then chop it off with a chisel. The quickest way I found to remove metal from the head of the rivet was to drill it with about a 3/8 drill bit till the bit was at the depth of the frame, and then like the others use a chisel and hammer to chop the head of the rivet off.
X2.

A lot less equipment to get out for a little job. Punch a starting spot and drill it. The closer the drill size is to the rivet size, the less effort you have to chisel off the head. Most of the rivets are about 7/16 inch diameter.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I've used the torch and works but not for every one, I prefer the grinder on one head of the rivet and chissel out the rest and if I can't fit the grinder then I use the torch.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get it pretty clean with a plasma cutter, you just have to take the material of the head of the rivet off one layer at a time - move slowly back and forth until you've removed all of the material up too the edge of the frame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online