remote oil filter? where to get one?

ididieseler

Reaction score
i am just finishing up swapping a 7.3 into my 1978 f150:D, the only problem i havent cleared up yet is my oil filter, its too close to the differential, anyone know where i can get a remote oil filter kit for it?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
brace yourself it's not cheap!
(that is,if you want to keep running the large size oem 1 1/2 - 16 thread filters)

the adapter which isn't bad at all:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prm-2840

the filter head (ask for the optional larger size) this is the one that gets ya,but it's the only one i could find:
http://www.hylube.com/products/rfhadapter.htm
click on dealers,and then call the first one; Johnson's.they're the only ones who have it.

you'll then want;
(2) 1/2 npt to -10 AN fittings.
the filter head is -12 an.
you'll need (1) -12 an plug to plug up one of the inlet ports.
then have some good quality hose made up.im seeing about doing this today using napa.also with aux oil cooler and t-stat in line.

you could try and skimp and run npt to barb hose connectors,but from what iv been reading,it's not worth the hassle or risk of minor to serious leaks and even engine failure by doing so.i strongly recommend going all out with quality on this,or don't do it.

unlike you,i didn't even want to remount mount my filter.i just wanted a sandwich to run out to an aux oil cooler,preferably with built in t-stat but the options for the 7.3l are shockingly nonexistent!

Last edited:

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not that i am interested, but dang thats alot for a filter head... it is nice looking though.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah.it didn't make me smile ordering it.but what ya gunna do? i didn't want to run a smaller filter.