Rear tank plugged???

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started with the lift pump and selector valve. The rear tank kills the engine and the fuel filter light comes on. The pump works and pulls good pressure, and the selector valve works and is clean and clear. I am going to try and blow some pressure into the tank to see if that fixes it. I got to this because I thought there was no lift pump, however, it was electric and was working the whole time.

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the tank, and found that the sender was fine, there was no sediment or crap built up inside either. I blew some air into the tube as well and just about blew out my cheeks. I bought 12 ft of hose , some clamps, and the quick disconnect plastic clampy thingies that ford uses for about 26 bucks. I cut the quick disconnect and a few inches of hose so I can clamp it into the new hose. installed, tested, and put the tank back up. Everything works great, the engine stumbled a bit when switched over due to the air in the lines, but my e-lift pump helped that out quite a bit.

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, I tried to clear the line and it was like trying to blow up
One of those tiny balloons at a party. My cheeks still hurt. Everything seems good now.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I wonder what caused the line to crap up. Its not often we read about this happening here. Actually I think this is a first.. I wonder if the previous owner had some water in the rear tank and it sucked up killing the engine. Instead of fixing it they just ran off the front tank. The sitting water rusted the line.. Maybe...:dunno:angel:

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure, but I not cutting into the lines to find out. The few inches I removed to the rear tank were clean and clear. It would pass some air but very little, the line gargled when I did this. But very little fuel even dripped out. The lines were essentially dry. If I had more time I would remove them entirely and cut them oPen to find the clog. the tank was ***** and span on the inside. No rust or grime built up, nor was there anything floating around at the bottom that could obstruct the pickup tube.