Rear spindle nut torque spec...?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...

I reassembled my hubs tonight following the 65fl lb. spec then backing off 5 clicks for new bearings...

However they still feel pretty snug. Not tight... and they turn smooth... but really stiff.

I never heard the clicks... just felt them. One website I saw says 5 audible clicks... all the others just say 5 clicks... so which is it? I can fell the click.. just cant hear it the first 3 clicks.

Am I too tight still?

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if they are internal seals (self contained) they do turn a little stiff when new. a different feel than a seal that wears on the spindle.

if you are talkign about the 10.25 rear hubs 65 and 5 clicks back is it. Audible means different things to different people, if you can feel the 5 clicks in your racket/bar when turning them back you are good.

.001-.005" endplay is another way to check the bearing adjustment, have fun with the dial guage........................

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol... I'd say it's fine then. It doesn't take a lot of effort to turn but I actually have to twist my wrist.. it doesn't just spin easy.

And yes.. Sterling 10.25

Thanks for the info

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got done building a 10.25 with all new parts. With brand new bearings on the pinion, carrier, and hubs, I struggled to turn the yoke by hand. Hubs get warm even with it cold out side but they are new and breaking in. When I backed off the nut I counted by what I felt because I couldn't hear anything. A while back I did wheel seals on my dana 61 and it just had a nylon lock nut with a little cotter key so no toque to 65 and back off x amount of clicks. As suggested above I used a dial indicator to check free play. Set it at .002 and it's been trouble free and running cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems to be fine now. Turns easily and smoothly after sitting overnight. I'm gonna run it and call it good. Thanks

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
universal .001-.005 "

for warranty reasons we have to follow nut torque specs and take a measurement. if not moriter :kick: can kick back warranty failures as install failures............

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online