Rear Locker In F350...........

bigdraft

Strokin..Not ******
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals...........got my f350...2 wheel drive dually that will get stuck on wet grass in on any sort of incline. I tow a fair amount with a car hauler and a horse trailer. I dont wanna bog it or anything, just need a little umph to get around the lanes and fields. Would adding a locker to the rear be of any benefit, or would it be a bad idea? If it's a good option, which locker would you recommend? How much are they and how hard are they to install? I beleive my truck has the 10.5 Sterling rear axle.....correct????

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!

Kevin

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are many options... The best lockers will chip around corners, and are loud. Adding a limited slip would be the best option..... I cannot recomend brands, btu I would imagine they would cost 350, and you would have to remove the gears....

Gildo

Reaction score
I'm sorry that I can't recommend a particular locker, but I have never owned one, I've read alot about them, but reading isn't owning. However, one of my best friends used to have a 2-wheel drive truck with a locker and it was amazing the places that that truck could go through. He could go just about anywhere that a 4-wheel drive with open diffs could go. I think you will not be disappointed.

Good luck,
Gil

mocetane

Reaction score
Better check, You might have a Dana 80 since it is a dually. The sterling 10.25 is in the F250 and F350 SRW's
Try a Lock-Rite. Locker slips in place of the spiders. Easy 2 hour install in most cases. Don't have to remove the carrier/ring!!! My cousin put 2 in his Ram 3500 4x4. Loves them. Click when you go around tight corners just like a detroit locker. Some don't like the noise.
LS rears are quiet but weaker. $$$ to buy and install. You have to use a LS carrier,etc. You can't just add clucthes to an open rear. -cuss
Lots of adds for it in 4x4mags.
Will look for it later this PM and will post.

Last edited:

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
Arb, detroit or lock-rite... LS is just that, limited. If you need the traction, go with a locker, no point putting limited slip in because you'll have to tear down anyway. If you're not a pretty good wrench, strongly consider a shop doin' it.

Fireftr_Doug

Let's roll
Reaction score
What about Ox lockers, if they make them for our axles? Those are cable operated, manual lockers so they're probably cheaper than an air or electric locker.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Detroit Tru-Trac. No noise around corners. Locks up super tight in mud. Love mine. Works perfect, no drawbacks.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
I'am going through the same problem you are having where you get stuck on anything mildly slippery. Thats a problem with a 2wd dually and finding a 4x4 dually pre 99 is tough.

I did alot of researching and I have come to two choices the Detroit True Trac or the ARB air locker. I looked into the Detroit Locker and the Lockrites both good options but I really don't want to deal with the clanking banging and clicking. I do spend alot of time on pavement I also spend alot of time on very twisty highway so dealing with trying to coast through S bend curves etc wasn't what I was looking for.

If I was doing nothing but offroad work then a Detroit would prolly be my choice.

I looked into the ARB I really liked the idea of locking the diff when I need it and turn it off when I don't. The price of the ARB was a tad pricey especially for something that wouldn't be used daily. If the price of the ARB didn't cost a arm and a leg I think I would go for it because you have the full benefits of a spool and a open diff.

I read all the literature about the Detroit True Trac and it seems to give you the best of both worlds its a all gear limited slip ;Sweet
There are no rotten clutch packs to wear out and no special gear lube needed no chattering and from what I have read the True Trac actually works. The only problem I don't think they make one for a Ford rear axle where my truck has a Dana 80.

I did give the lockrite a thought I really liked the price ;Sweet I also liked that I don't need to reset the gears so I can do the job myself. I also liked that if I didn't like the locker I could remove it and put the spiders back.

I'am still considering the Lockrite as it is the cheaper option it does give you true locker capabilities but the purists say its not as strong as a Detroit.

The only time you will grenade a rear end when you have a load on the truck and the wheels are spinning then all of a sudden the tires bite hard ie hitting pavement. For us dually owners traction problems exist with a empty truck where there isn't enough contact pressure for the tires to get a good bite. I have spun tires with 3 ton on the deck but that was in some pretty extreme conditions which was a forestry back road which are not the smoothest and can be pretty steep.

Anyhow to sum up the rambling I drove people nuts on TDS flipping back and forth on what I should do because 1 and 1.5 ton trucks pre 99 are 2wd which is what I can afford. A traction aid in the diff is the only choice I have so I did alot of looking into what can be done cost effectively. A 4wheeldrive conversion is very expensive and labour intensive or spending 30 grand plus on a 99 or newer truck isn't my cup of tea either.

Spending upto 1000 dollars is cheapest option for us 2wd 1 whee spinners LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online