Rear glass replacement question

seacoats

Reaction score
One of the sliding pieces is broken on my rear window. Is it possible to replace only the slider or does the whole assembly need to be replaced? I found someone selling the whole assembly on craigslist, but one of the non-sliding pieces is broken. Not sure if I can cannibalize the pieces or not. Has anyone done this?

Thanks!

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The whole thing would have to come out of the truck. Once out, you should be able to take it apart and swap the sliding panel from the CL window into yours, or your fixed panel into the CL window. Hope you're getting the CL window for cheap.

seacoats

Reaction score
Craigslist window is $25. Not sure if it's worth the hassle. Removing the window and getting it to seal seems tricky.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removing is easy peasy. You need an assistant "catcher". Just start pushing the weatherstrip out from the inside of the cab. Helps a little to put some wooden wedges in on the outside as it starts to pop out. Slow to start, but once a "critical mass" of the gasket is pushed out, be ready to grab it from the outside.

Install isn't bad either. I'd have to look again at the install on a slider, as the instructions may be different. We swapped both our sliders out for solid windows, and with the solids, you use a thin nylon cord in the track of the weatherstrip. We used coated thin clothesline rope. Start it on the bottom, and use the cord to pull the inner side of the weatherstrip in. Again, a two-person job.

Ilovejunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you use a thin nylon cord in the track of the weatherstrip. We used coated thin clothesline rope. Start it on the bottom, and use the cord to pull the inner side of the weatherstrip in. Again, a two-person job.

that's how i have put them in before, get the rope in the channel all the way round with your two ends falling roughly in the center on the bottom edge of the window seal.
have your helper set the window seal on the body pinch weld the weatherstripping seals on, and just pull the rope straight towards the front of the truck and it will pull the inner lip of the weather stripping in with it, just keep working both sides kinda even all the way around till you get to the top.

also have your helper hold the window kinda tight to the back of the cab till you get at least half of the weather stripping seated, you down want them to really be pushing on the window, just holding it up against the cab so its at the same angle as the rear or the cab.

if you do it right it takes about 15-20 minutes total to take one out and put another in.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZTSpridgen

Members online