rear end identification

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Axle code 73! Just like mine;Sweet

I plan on doing bearings, seals and brakes this spring and toss 75-140 synthetic in there then I plan on forgetting the rear end for many years:D

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Evrything I keep coming up with says 5:13 as well, but there is no way he would get to 70MPH w 5:13 and no OD

84IDI-BERTHA

Reaction score
maybe he swapped rear ends out then? and who is to say my speedo is even close to being on...i ran 55 next to my wifes SUV and it said she was doing 48cookoo

and i dont have a tach in the truck, would llike to eventually mount one as well as i have no idea what im running at. but it is definitely screaming my tune when i floor it. im baffled as well :confused:

84IDI-BERTHA

Reaction score
thats what i was thinking kevin. i want to just flush everything in her out and fill it up to keep her running. who knows how long any of these fluids have been in miss bertha.

justcuz

Reaction score
The definitive solution will be to pull the cover and read the numbers on the ring gear and divide the little number into the big one. 5.13 gear would be pretty rare and I suspect even with a 32 inch tire you would still not be able to reach the speeds you mentioned. 55 mph would prety much be the max speed you could safely drive that truck with 5.13 gears @ roughly 3200 rpm's

The ice cream should take good care of the **** in your mouth from the rear axle.

84IDI-BERTHA

Reaction score
i will probably try to pull it apart next week and let you guys know. tomorrow is tire rotation on the wifes suv and oil change. and then a bunch of garbage training on my day off -cuss

finally going to 8hr shifts middle of next week, no more 12+hr days. i will be on 8s with time to blow. 75-140 synthetic is what was mentioned, a pretty good decision for the rear end of the truck? anything else i need to do to make her happy? i havent ever done a rear diff but it seems self explanatory. im going to get a chilton's offlline before, no worries:D

justcuz

Reaction score
Rear gear oil change is a piece of cake. The hardest part is cleaning the old gasket off the cover. Some like to use silicone instead of a gasket. I prefer to use spray on weatherstrip adhesive to the cover side of the gasket. Let it tack up and install it on the axle cover. Then I smear a thin layer of grease on the housing seal surface and bolt the cover up. The rear axle lube goes into the hole (with the threaded plug) on the pinion nose of the housing. Fill with gear oil until it level with the bottom of the hole on level ground.

To find info on your axle go to "Dana Spicer axles", when you get on their website go to light duty axles on the left side of the page. Across the top there is a selection for literature then you will find downloadable information on all Dana Spicer axles, scroll down to Dana 70. Click on it and open it up, then you can print it or save it to your computer. It is a complete front and rear dana 70 repair and specifications guide for your rear axle.

justcuz

Reaction score
Rear gear oil change is a piece of cake. The hardest part is cleaning the old gasket off the cover. Some like to use silicone instead of a gasket. I prefer to use spray on weatherstrip adhesive to the cover side of the gasket. Let it tack up and install it on the axle cover. Then I smear a thin layer of grease on the housing seal surface and bolt the cover up. The rear axle lube goes into the hole (with the threaded plug) on the pinion nose of the housing. Fill with gear oil until its level with the bottom of the hole with the vehicle on level ground.

To find info on your axle go to "Dana Spicer axles", when you get on their website. across the top there is a selection for literature then you will find downloadable information on all Dana Spicer axles, scroll down to Dana 70. Click on it and open it up, then you can print it or save it to your computer. It is a complete front and rear dana 70 repair and specifications guide for your rear axle. ;Sweet
The service manual for the axle is 5312-9 and the service manual for the trac-loc and power-loc limited slips is 5315-3.

Last edited:

84IDI-BERTHA

Reaction score
good to know. and that is pretty dang easy. ill have to get some more of the silicone. i have blown thru two tubes since i got the truck :D haha

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I like to use a gasket. They are cheap and rarely leak. Just put a film of silicone on the surface and you're laughing!

justcuz

Reaction score
I need to edit the filling process. It goes in the hole in the cover, Dana axles have no pinion nose filler plugs. I was thinking of another (GM) type of axle.

84IDI-BERTHA

Reaction score
understood.figuring the giant plug with the square head? and I'm thinking a gasket would maybe be my best option as this is my first diff job. just so I don't F it up

justcuz

Reaction score
Yep, thats the one! Take it out before you pull the cover, that way you don't mess up your new paint when the wrench slips off it to remove it for filling the axle.