Rear carrier bearing issue. How does this even happen?!

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
The other night after about 10 miles of driving. My newer Spicer carrier bearing popped out of the rubber housing as the driveshaft slide rearward nearly coming out of the t-case. The rubber surround is now destroyed :eek: How does this even happen? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? I'm 100% certain that I didn't install the bearing incorrectly and the entire driveshaft bolted into place without any hesitation or binding.

My U-joints are good, the truck does not have a lift. The rear axle is not moving around or anything like that, and the t-case mounts are in great shape.

I bought another new Spicer bearing assembly and installed it. Everything went into place great, but I have not driven the truck yet because I'm worried about it happening again :backoff

There's the fixed plate on the crossmember that the U-plate (the one that wraps around the rubber) bolts to. Should there be anything else between these two pieces? :dunno

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
That's the weird part is everything felt and looked great. Spicer should be a pretty good replacement compared to a lot of parts store bearing :dunno

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
I've had a bad moog balljoint for these trucks. Mistakes happen everywhere. Motor and trans mount ok? Was everything tight? Bushing on rear leafs good?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sh*t happens > years back I installed a brand spanking new hot water heater > bad out of the box.:puke:

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad carrier bearing for sure. Just before I pulled the auto out of my 91 it spit the rubber out of a brand new carrier. Swapped it out on the side of the road in about 45 minutes.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
these days the failure rate of new parts, even top name parts , is REALLY getting annoying :backoff It's got to the point where even my wife is tired of listening to me ***** about it LOL I figure about one out of 6-8 new parts is crap out of teh box anymore, I don't care where you buy it from

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I'll put some close to home miles on the new bearing and hope for the best. I guess it would have to be a crap bearing as everything else looks great. I just worry about the same thing happening again. Its not the $32 bearing that gets me its the fact I could be in the middle of nowhere next time it happens and dead in the water :puke:

Anyway thanks again everyone I appreciate the help ;Sweet

redmondjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these days the failure rate of new parts, even top name parts , is REALLY getting annoying :backoff It's got to the point where even my wife is tired of listening to me ***** about it LOL I figure about one out of 6-8 new parts is crap out of teh box anymore, I don't care where you buy it from
You are speaking the truth there! It actually depresses me, as somebody who has been wrenching since I was a kid working on lawn mowers, keeping the old iron alive and kicking. As well as poor-quality parts, it seems that nobody keeps any inventory any longer as well, and I live in a major urban area.