Rear Brakes/Parking Brake

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes the adjuster can be reinstalled backwards or even on the wrong side of the truck. Mine works great... But this is after I installed the hydroboost along with the peddle and 1 5/16 master cylinder. I don't do "things" half assed. Most doing this conversion wont use the proper peddle. Anyway the adjusters really don't work like they were designed to. Adjusting them manually is about the easiest way to make sure you don't ruin the front brakes because the rears are way out of adjustment and the fronts are doing all the braking.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear breaks on my truck will lock up with out really even trying, does that mean they are way out of adjustment or worn? Also how do u replace the drum shoes?

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i forgot to mention my parking brake doesnt even work. its loose, like the cable is broken or really really loose. its not the rear brakes either.. those are adjusted.. could it be a cable thats broke?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for the Sterling axles, but the park-brakes on my Dana will hold the truck/trailer on a hill.

The wheels will slide before the brakes slip.

No one ever replaces the cable-housings and they should be replaced new everytime the shoes are replaced.

Also, if you want the park-brakes to work, you need to use them EVERY TIME THE TRUCK IS PARKED.

Seldom using the park-brake is a sure way to allow moisture to rust and swell the cables, such that they no longer slide freely within the housings.

Also, and VERY IMPORTANT, if you have a vehicle that sits un-used for more than a couple days, you should release/apply release/apply release/apply the park-brake at least twice a week, to prevent the cables siezing.;Sweet

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what should i check on my truck, since there is zero tension on the cables and my shoes/drums are fine? just check the cables?

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i believe i can be of some help, if you have adjusted your brakes correctly and they back off it sounds like the adjuster cam is at fault. the cable that holds the adjuster cam can stretch, and it will allow the adjuster to back off. best way to find out is remove the drum and look at the adjuster cam. if its not touching the adjuster then theres your problem. most the time you can bend the adjuster cam towards the adjuster a little to make it hold the adjuster. but its best to replace the cable. after that spin the adjuster, it should only spin one way(which adjusts the shoes out) if it spins both ways then bend the adjuster cam a little more to hold the adjuster in place. now adjust your brake and then take the palms of your hands and hit the shoes one at a time(like your smacking them) and then ck the adjuster again, it should still only turn one way. if it does then your good if not then baen the cam a little more. i have done this several times and it always solves the problem. good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online