Rear brakes lock up real easy

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple years ago my rear brakes would lock before my front brakes would begin to grab. I adjusted the rear brakes carefully and replaced the e-brake cable and lubricated all the contact points in the rear brakes. No real change. Then I disconnected the connector that goes from the brake master cylinder and removed the spring from the RABS valve. No change. After running this way for a year or so my rear brakes still grab before the front ones grab. If I need to stop quickly I can press the pedal hard, the fronts to their job and one or both of the rears lock up.

A few questions:

-Has anyone seen a truck like mine improve its rear brake when the RABS valve was put back in service?
-Any suggestions on what is wrong with the brakes?

Thanks,

BigRedWeather

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know the solution but I can tell you that it is common. I bet I have driven half a dozen that do this.

97psdcrew

Reaction score
What you need to do is bleed the front brakes really well. What I beleive is happening is the front brakes aren't working properly and the rear are over working, hence they are locking up.
This has happened to me before, and after $600 dollars later wasted at the local repair shop, trying everything from booster to proportioning valve, to rear cyclinders, finaly bled the front caliper and everything worked great.

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One mechanic said the first thing he does with my situation is to replace the front rubber lines. I did that, but to no avail.

Well, its nice to know that I don't own the only odd ball.

Obviously I have bled the front brakes, but I will try again to blead them really well.

I'll see what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online