ready to burn truck and crush it

rustyescott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
93 f350 ccdrw 5 spd milage unknown . started out with a fuel heater leak, fixed that. then had a cold start problem. i have replaced return lines with kit from type4. replaced fuel filter and mount, replaced lift pump. truck will still not run longer than 30/60 seconds. or if you try a accelarate past idel it dies. open for ideas.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Injection pump? Could still be air in the system too. I'd have someone turn it over while depressing the bleeder valve on the side of the filter. If you get air then it still needs to be bled or you've got a leak somewhere on the suction side. Do this when you start it too. You should get a steady stream of fuel.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
did this start happening after the lift pump was replaced? Or before?

Do the test that jaluhn83 mentioned above. Make sure the lift pump is supplying enough fuel. Sadly new does not mean good.

Also, are you sure you got the lift pump arm on the correct side of the cam lobe? If you get it on top rather than under, it will still pump a little. But will not flow enough fuel. That will cause the symptoms you are describing.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like you don't have enough fuel volume to run the egine past idle. The test to determine if there is enough fuel getting to the filter is to remove the schrader valve core. Its the same thing on any inflated type tire or tube. Get a short piece of hose on it ahd crank the engine but not start it. To crank the engine without running the engine you jumper the fender mount solenoid. Remove the wire that slips on the small fitting. then jump from there to the large lug closest to the firewall. It will crank safely this way and not start. Key must be off too. I think you need a pint in 20 or 30 seconds.. Try that and post back...

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your fuel return kit to make sure it's the same size as what was there. There are two different styles. No one believes me but i put the wrong kit on my 89 and when I tried to test fire it I got similar results. The engine would start right up and only run for a small amount of time. Then when I tried to restart it wouldn't right away, but would after sitting. So I called the local diesel shop and they told me I had the wrong kit. So I picked up a new kit and all was good. My engine started and ran for as long as I wanted then. I believe what the issue is the fuel pump would build up fuel pressure because the return line off it was too small.

If I was you I would try pulling the return line off the pump and see if it runs. It's messy but cheap to rule out a return line restriction.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Is it possible that the shower head in the tank broke and now the pick up tube in the tank is above the fuel level just enough to cause your symptom?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Lift pump problem. The IP will suck a little fuel from the tank by itself, but is designed to create pressure, not suction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online

No members online now.