Ray-Wel High Flow Intake System?

Fixnstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorta I suppose...

Hey riotwarrior, I didn't realise I was replying to you in that really long post I wrote (sorry about that but I'm not capable now of going back and editing it so I'll leave it).

I haven't got back to the coolant filter thread yet (too burnt out from insomnia for the past few days). I'll have to have all of my ducks in a row before I proceed with that mission but I'll be back.

I wanted to tell you there that I was very impressed with your tech article, 'Replacing Thermostat 101' or something like that. It may be the best tutorial that I have seen so I wanted to thank you for all of the work you did to produce that!

There are a lot of interesting and also very knowledgeable people frequenting this site. I like it. FTE forums too.

I'm starting into that thermostat job right now (slow going with the rainy weather and other issues) along with some other under the hood work and your tutorial made what had previously seemed to be a difficult PITA become a very easy job not to be complaining about, so thanks for that!

If you didn't get to the end of that very long reply, I understand why.

I wanted you to see this comment about the Ford air cleaner so I'll paste it here:

I could be wrong about this high tech Velocity & Flow Increaser Jet Nozzle configuration, more commonly called around here 'the soup bowl."

Don't be messing with that thing! You might screw up the engine!

and this:

I could be wrong, maybe it's just a low tech noise sucker-upper thing.

Anyhow, thanks for the good work on this site.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
It rains a lot in the Pacific Northwest. When I first went to remove my Banks air cleaner the dish was half full of rain water but it has a very good seal (looks like the original) so it doesn't leak.

The problem isn't the air cleaner it's the hood to cowl seal and mine was split in several places so I patched it up with some old stiff gasket maker from a tube until I can get a new one.

My seal was completely gone and the one from LMS was way too expensive- When I was at the auto parts store I happened to see some weather stripping with this profile and it worked better than I had any right to expect..
You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree.
Shouldn't matter what condition the hood seal is in. The intake should be sealed no matter what.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree.
Shouldn't matter what condition the hood seal is in. The intake should be sealed no matter what.

I 2nd this.

If the seal in the bottom of the air cleaner lid is bad enough to let water in (either due to a bad or missing "rubber washer") then it is bad enough to let air in. This location is on the "clean" side of the filter, meaning that any "dirt" in the air that is getting through that faulty seal is getting sucked right into the intake of the truck and into the cylinders........

Yes, the cowl seal needs to be good, to keep the water off the lid of the air cleaner and any electrics on top of the engine, such as the glow plug controller/relay and from pooling in the injector or glow plug holes........

Fixnstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I 2nd this.

If the seal in the bottom of the air cleaner lid is bad enough to let water in (either due to a bad or missing "rubber washer") then it is bad enough to let air in. This location is on the "clean" side of the filter, meaning that any "dirt" in the air that is getting through that faulty seal is getting sucked right into the intake of the truck and into the cylinders........

Yes, the cowl seal needs to be good, to keep the water off the lid of the air cleaner and any electrics on top of the engine, such as the glow plug controller/relay and from pooling in the injector or glow plug holes........

If you don't read all of this scroll down to my last note:

You guys are right about your concerns, BTW, It's not just a rubber washer, the original seal is substantial and not prone to failure like the typical cracks that I've seen on a number of old air cleaners with a rubber bonded to steel washer for a seal on the top. Maybe those were inferior rubber, I don't know. I think they were thinner rubber.

Although I do not think that this seal is as prone to breaking or leaking as you imagine (it's a very good seal on mine showing no defects after 28 years), it is still an obvious risk mostly from the potential for water to get through. That could eventually happen.

It's not good to have that much standing water, as much as a quart(?) pooled over the top of the intake. It's very risky and a very big concern if you find that. I found that two weeks after I bought the truck and it was likely there during the entire previous 5 years since the truck was transported to rainy Washington State. The air cleaner was filthy and at least that old.

That can only happen if the hood seal is cracked or broken above the air cleaner. Mine was cracked in about 5 places - two over the air cleaner. After temporarily sealing those cracks with gasket maker from a tube (only thing I had available at the time) , not a drop has come in above the air cleaner after lots of rain and some heavy rains- I have watched that very closely by putting a clear plastic piece over the air cleaner extending under the hood seal (while it is parked which is almost always until my current maintenance and repairs are finished) which will catch and hold any water that gets in and there hasn't been a drop.

That is not really the issue. It's evidenced to be a very good design for increasing the amount of air going through the intake but this comes with the risk of eventually catching a significant pool of water if the hood seal leaks and then only IF the seal at the hold-down screw ever leaks by eventual old-age deterioration/damage, OR if it is not snugly tightened down (by error) OR if debris gets trapped under it before it's tightened down- which is not likely unless it's left there without the bolt while the hood is left open. (you can't see it while tightening the bolt) In those instances THAT could result in a very substantial problem = hydro-lock in one or more cylinders.

People who have these types of air cleaners really only need to be aware of the potential, make sure the hood seal is checked now and then for cracks and the hold-down bolt seal when changing air filters - if it's the right seal it's actually very unlikely to fail like that, even after 28 years or more which is how long it has been since these were manufactured. So, BOTH defects would have to occur before there would be water getting into the intake.

I'm personally not at all concerned about an air leak sucking in dirt. The seal would have to be badly deteriorated for that to happen and should be noticed long before it became a problem. If it's just a crack or or several or more cracks they would have to be wide and would first have to go all the way from the outside edge to the inside and down through the shell and even further down the rubber seal. When that bolt is tightened down it would compress the rubber and seal those cracks.

Lets just say IT CAN HAPPEN even if it's just the equivalent of a few sewing needle holes in the air filter, if you drive on very dusty gravel roads or off road, it's a concern, I agree.

I'm going to keep mine on and not worry about it because I am aware of what could possibly happen and that's not going to happen. I hate taking this air cleaner off and putting it back on, it's a very very tight fit up against the insulation on the fire wall and under the insulated air conditioning tube(which I have to push upward considerably to get the air cleaner in- after it is to the firewall I adjust it to find the intake and it will drop down over the intake then. The taller (and larger diameter) lid has to be on before it can be put in and then it can only be placed there at a very specific angle with some wiggling to finally get it on.

NOTE: If you read this far, please see my next post (reply to Biofarmer93) about the hood seal with a couple of photos. That should be of interest and helpful to everyone. It will take up to 1/2 hour before it is posted (photo-editing)

Last edited:

Fixnstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My seal was completely gone and the one from LMS was way too expensive- When I was at the auto parts store I happened to see some weather stripping with this profile and it worked better than I had any right to expect..
attachment.php

Thank you very much! I'm sure you need a good one in Florida. I looked all over town for a suitable replacement and I think I passed that one up.

I have two questions about your seal if you're still around:

But first:
I haven't ordered the one from LMS-->CORRECTION, LMC, either, about $40+ with shipping and on my low income I need to put the money in more important parts.

More importantly, I think the LMC one may be too short!! In one of the LMC diagrams it appears to be the same length as the original which is also TOO SHORT. The one in my truck which appears to be original is too short by 10-12 inches on each end! It catches all of the water coming through the hood-cowl gap, diverts that water to each side and then dumps it all in the engine compartment!. See photos:

attachment.php

On the passenger side there is always water lying on the top of the black plastic box over the heater blower. There is no way for that water to drain off. The lever from the vacuum motor that controls the fresh air/recirc. door is rusty and the thin steel clip washer that holds it to the plastic door actuator is gone (maybe it rusted away) so the lever does NOT stay on the actuator. In addition, my windshield wiper motor was so rusted out from the hood seal leaks it would have probably been refused as a core. (I replaced it with a new one) Also notice the rust on the hood hinge. I'm sure that is from water entering through the hood-cowl gap and running along the hinge. Also notice that the lower cowl flange to the left of the hood-cowl seal is holding water. That is where the water diverted by the seal dumps onto the air plenum to the left of where the A/C evaporator coil is located inside the plenum.

Notice again the distance from the end of the seal to the fender. It appeared to be over 10 inches and is probably about 12 inches!

IF a seal could be installed all the way across to the fender (which it CAN**) that would be much better but the water STILL will run into the engine compartment through that gap between fender and fender-mounting bracket. I've examined this closely. **In order for this to work, the seal has to run along the TOP EDGE of the Cowl so there will not be a dip in it to collect water- This will require drilling some new small holes for screws. (see my installation questions to Biofarmer93 further below) Water WILL go to the end if installed along the upper edge of the cowl. There is ample room for the seal behind the hinge with only a slight notch in the flat base of the seal that Biofarmer93 is showing. If you look at yours you will see what I mean.

Further I would like the water to drain completely out of the engine compartment and I think I can devise a cup and drain tubing that will fit on each end below the ends of a new seal (won' have time to do that until next year after I get other things fixed. (slow going for me)

Just one more thing: You can see that my Cowl is dipping down from the fender line. That happened when I removed the cowl to replace the wiper motor/assembly. I could not seem to get it slid back up under the chrome along the bottom edge of the windshield. Probably dirt or debris in there?
I have to take it off again when I install an excellent hood I have and nice hinges with no rust - plus fix this mal-alignment of the cowl. I dented the existing hood all by myself :idiot: = long story caused due to "Mysterious Unsolved Electrical Phenomena" post at FTE idi section (mystery SOLVED)

SO, I assume that to do this right next time, I have to remove the chrome trim at the base of the windshield. Its probably packed with Fir or Pine needles or it's the soft seal under there that has been deformed while I was doing the work (seemed like that). I was going to ask if removing that chrome is normally the proper procedure for removing and replacing the cowl, but in my case I don't think I have a choice. I looked at that when I had the alignment problem but I didn't know how to safely remove it without damaging it so I didn't (I'll figure out how when the time comes to replace it).
-------------------
In the next picture (which may not be necessary) I'm showing the whole length of the seal, surface rust on the brake booster which should not be in a California truck (or any truck) and it may be from the 5+ years it has been in Washington State rains. - The engine compartment insulation on the firewall (and inner fender wells) can get wet too. Wet insulation is not a good thing. Fire wall insulation is exposed behind the engine and I do believe there is insulation behind the thin plastic cover you see (I haven't looked) but rain can get down behind that too and affect anything/everything that is behind it. The water dumps right onto that white cylindrical thing that goes through the firewall, I think it contains a wiring/harness, I haven't looked close at that yet.

All of this is another reason why I didn't order from LMC.

Picture from the other end of the seal so you can see what the original looks like. I tried to rotate it to the left for an easier view but it wouldn't stay:

attachment.php

Installation Question(s) for Biofarmer93:
1) I can't enlarge your image while writing this (don't want to lose this post) but that looks like a dense foam rubber seal rather than a solid rubber seal. I think door seals are like that. Is this correct? The original is a dense solid rubber seal which you can probably tell from the picture.

2) From your image, which side did you put facing up, right or left?

3) How did you attach it?

In mine there is a metal reinforcement strip integrated with the rubber seal, not completely across but ample in the areas where the screws go through.

I think what I will do is this: First I have to lay-out and drill holes in the cowl for the screws that will go though my steel strips and the base of the seal. I will also pre-drill those strips and number them for the right location on the cowl. After making sure that I have my procedure down-pat with the seal cut properly (I will leave some excess to be sure it is long enough) I will apply a water proof adhesive to the seal or the cowl (or both if required - but I hope not!). After I get the seal adhered in place I will use some rigid steel strips (that won't bend under the screw pressure) to the base of the seal and screw it all down. I'll put a very light coat of sealant behind the metal strips. These strips don't have to go all the way across, I think the ones on mine are intermittent, just long enough to go beyond 2 screw ones. An aluminum extrusion all the way across would look nice if I can find a small one that is rigid enough. You might think this is over-kill but I don't. If you look closely at door seals they fit over a flange of sort to hold them in place so the won't slip and we don't have that on a cowl.

That is all I have for now, thanks for reading

Attachments

• hood seal -2.jpg
    hood seal -2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 62
  • hood seal -1.jpg
    hood seal -1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Fixnstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how or why the second image is shown twice. [FIXED]

Later I'll become a sustaining member to help pay for the extra storage space for images I put up. Here, less than 70kb and 68.8kb respectively. I really like this site and the people hanging out here so it's worth supporting with a paid membership. Same with FTE forums. I don't know when I will be able to afford it. (not easily during the next 3 months but maybe.

I will be RICH next year!! (sorta rich -for awhile- until I spend it). Temporarily Richer than being broke from buying 'nickle and dime parts at $50 - $100 to get my truck ready for a long haul over mountain ranges with a trailer next year. - on a very low disability income. Actually it will be enough to buy a nice newer used truck if I chose to do that OR plenty left over after restoring and painting this truck.
My $ situation could be a lot worse! I could be living under the bridge with an old tire and rim that someone threw in the river, dreaming about having a truck that would fit on my rim and tire.
In any case I WILL remember Oilburners - how could I forget after the few long posts i've made during my brain impaired insomnia episodes.

Thanks to everyone who makes this such a good site, including all of the visitors!

Last edited:

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
But first:
I haven't ordered the one from LMS either, about $40+ with shipping and on my low income I need to put the money in more important parts.
I lost a engine because of a cracked hood seal rain got in through in the stock airbox
If I had known I would have gladly paid the $40 plus shipping but I didn't so now I have a engine that needs rebuilt.

Fixnstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lost a engine because of a cracked hood seal rain got in through in the stock airbox
If I had known I would have gladly paid the $40 plus shipping but I didn't so now I have a engine that needs rebuilt.

I am very sorry to hear that happened to your truck, Waystro. So this was with the STOCK air cleaner? That shows that the hood-to-cowl seal IS the most important issue.

For Information: The LMC Truck seal is only $29.95 with $10. shipping to my location. I don't know it's true length. Here is the LMS catalogue page:
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=27

I'm glad that we are discussing this seal here, it's a very important seal for many reasons and sometimes a critically important seal as in your unfortunate case with your truck. This seal is TOO EASILY OVERLOOKED and it's importance not fully recognized. I think we are doing a very good job of remedying this problem and finding a BETTER Way. I wish this part of the discussion was in a topic exclusively discussing this seal so more people would see it. If I had the administrative authority to copy this part of the discussion and put it under a new topic I would do that - but NO, that's not right.

I CAN start a new topic name, something like "The critical importance of an effective hood-to-cowl seal" and then after a short explanation point it to a URL that begins with the first post in this thread that starts the discussion of this seal and that topic would resume here.

I would explain that the topic is originally about the Ray Wel deep dish air cleaner and the subject evolved to discussing this seal.

What do you think, Waystro? (or anyone else?).

OK, aside from that, somewhere I mistakenly posted stating or suggesting that that my whole Banks air cleaner is heavy cast aluminum top and bottom. THAT is not true. Only the top or 'lid' is heavy cast aluminum. The top alone was heavy enough the last time I took it off that later it seemed like the whole air cleaner was cast aluminum. It is NOT. The lower part is Ford Motor Company steel. I do not know if it is exactly the same as the original stock air cleaners. I will have to confirm that in the future by measuring it when I take it off. It will be coming off in December so I can service the CDR which I have not checked since I bought the truck in Feb. 2015.

I need to correct that mistake so people will not be out looking for a Banks cast aluminum lower half for the lid which probably does not exist.

Fixnstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree.
Shouldn't matter what condition the hood seal is in. The intake should be sealed no matter what. ...

Uh Huh... hood seal condition doesn't matter? That's coming from someone who lives in El Paso, Texas where the annual rainfall record of all time for an entire year was probably 1/10th of one inch set back in 1806. That's 0.008 inches per month. Your problem down there is probably running over cactus spines.

Seriously though, I believe that we have established further below that the main issue IS in fact the hood-to-cowl seal. Wastro posted that his engine with a stock air cleaner was destroyed due to a bad cowl seal that let water pour in. Snow would do similar.

I think we can justifiably change your comment to read like this:

Shouldn't matter what condition the air cleaner hold-down bolt seal is in. The hood-to-cowl gap should be sealed no matter what. ...

Well Said, Sir!

^^uh, what he said^^

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is an article in the tech section at the top of the page on removal of windshield trim. You need a tool to lever the trim clips under the trim. I bought the LMC seal and it is the same length as a stock one.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Yes the Stock Round air box. Here's how I look at it bad good seal lets water pool up on airbox and could pool on the engine too. That water will find a way in. I'm from south tx it hardly ever rains over there now I'm currently south east tx where it pretty much rains every week. So looking at the link you posted to lmc that'll be one of the first things I do.

Oh and FixNStuff go ahead and make a thread on the hood seal its a interesting subject.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Just so you know, I'm actually from northeastern Oklahoma. Where we get a lot a rain.
I'm just stationed down here. When it rains, it pours.
As was pointed out earlier, the intake seal is actually the more important piece. If water can get in, dirt/dust can get in. I don't know about you, but I'd rather not trash my engine like that.
While the hood seal is important, it's not the root of the problem, is all I'm getting at.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online