Rain + Parking Brakes

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I got in the truck to move it up into the carport tonight after letting it sit for four days, and to my complete surprise, I stalled right out immediately, like something was holding me in place. It rained heavily the day that I last drove it.

Well, I quickly narrowed it down to my rear parking brake being locked on, googled it, and found that sometimes rain makes the brakes stick (rust?) locked. So I got back in, engaged and disengaged the parking brake several times, then gunned it and managed to break them free. They work fine now, no issues at all, but I was just curious:

Is this common for our trucks? Should I watch out for rain, and just park in gear? Mostly just curious if this has happened/happens to others on here frequently.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Never heard of this happening to ur rigs. It did happen to my chevy truck at Lake Powell one year. We launched our 22 ft Wellcraft and lived on it for two weeks. When I got in the truck to pull the boat out of the lake the brakes were locked to the drums because I applied the parking brake after the shoes got wet putting the boat in the water. Just rocked the truck and trailer back and forth till it broke loose. No more issues with that but learned something too.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Well, I know that the rear drums got totally soaked when I drove, so I'm sure that is the issue, and I hope it doesn't happen again.

Side note, I've been wanting to take a trip to Lake Powell, I'm down in Tucson, and my buddies and I planned on driving up there maybe later this summer.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
I know parking brakes freeze due to cold weather (regularly around here) but never heard of water being a problem