Radios?

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it possible for someone to post a picture of their overhead mounted CB? ive been trying to figur out how to do and i think i need some inspiration :D

I can't find my picture anymore, but if you check out my profile on the dieselstop, there's a picture on my profile there. Basically, I took a couple of oversized washers (like 3 inch diameter) behind the headliner for support. The headliner is strong enough to hold it. I've had mine there for 10+ years with no problem. Plus, it is up high enough that it isn't noticable from outside the truck (with the mike disconnected). I run a magnetic mount antenna, so when I'm not using it, no one can tell I have one.

dieselrunner

Reaction score
is it possible for someone to post a picture of their overhead mounted CB? ive been trying to figur out how to do and i think i need some inspiration :D

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/8/178/article/CB_Radio_Install_On_Older_F150s.html

This is pretty much how I did mine. We used to have a great time on these. I noticed you get the occasional F-bomb, but I didnt mind. Picking up skip from far off places can be fun too. Saved our butts on a camping trip couple years ago also. If I ever upgrade my radio it would be to a unit with SSB.

Last edited:

t-roymoose

Reaction score
I have a Cobra 200. It is peaked and tuned with the CB channels added. I had to mount it to the little dimple on the hump on the passenger side because it is so big and I drive a stick. I would like to mount it to the roof but it is very heavy because it has the heat fins on the back of it. I also have a Uniden scanner mounted next to my brake controller.

P.S. If anyone has a good idea on how to mount that radio on the roof without it comming down, I would love to hear them.

Attachments

• IMG00220.jpg
    IMG00220.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 21

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/8/178/article/CB_Radio_Install_On_Older_F150s.html

This is pretty much how I did mine. We used to have a great time on these. I noticed you get the occasional F-bomb, but I didnt mind. Picking up skip from far off places can be fun too. Saved our butts on a camping trip couple years ago also. If I ever upgrade my radio it would be to a unit with SSB.

I hav mine mounted down low under the ashtray, but I like this setup WAY better. I still have a few cold ones in the fridge...I know wha I'll be doing at 5 tomorrow morning!

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score

Thats pretty trick, im gonna have to try that, but i thought that the roof on the truck was only a single layer of sheet metal, or is it two layers?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I did mine yesterday...I used two 10MM, 1 inch long self tapping bolts. I pulled the head liner down to make sure I did it right the first time. It's sharp, out of the way but within reach! I like it! I will take pics after work tomorrow when it is still kind of light out.

The Uniden 78XL and my 55" K40 get me DAMN good reception! Crystal clear at about 5 miles as the crow flies....over some pretty hilly terrain.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you all on this post, but I FINALLY got the picss that you wanted to see.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

This is the Uniden 70XL I picked up for $80. I had the whole headliner down to run the antenna cable without making and huge loops in it. It works like a dream.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I got a Cobra 29 LTD Chrome thats been tweaked I need to instal. I have a Firstik 4' attena as well.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics, that came out awesome! are you gonna wrap the wires in some convoluted tubing or just leave em?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run a Cobra 148NWST on a removable slide mount. The CB is only broken out when I am on a long trip. They're very handy on the interstates outside of kali. I mainly lurk listening to the truckers go bearspotting. ;Sweet

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I thought about wrapping the wires up, but I decided to leave them. The visor flips up and you can't even see the fuse holder. The rest of the wiring is hidden in the apillar and head liner. I just left the fuse link out in case I blow a fuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online