Radios?

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right after Christmas I'm going to buy a CB from my truck, I don't know a whole lot about them, me and 2 of my friends are buying them as an alternative to those little handheld radios for when we go hunting, but I'm sure it will come in handy from time to time on the highway.
I know all CBs outputs are limited to 4 watts, but will buying a cheap unit and a good antenna really give me the same kind of range as an expensive (i have been looking at cobra 29s) paired up with a good antenna? I've read that the Cobra 29 is a somewhat advanced receiver, not good for somebody buying there first CB's could anybody add more insight into that?

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Matt a cobra 29 is a great starter radio. Just pair it with a good ant. And get your swr's set. It a very simple radio and great for a new radio operator. PM me if you have any more questions.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
My CB is a Uniden 78XL, which has the same board and features as a cobra 29 LTD. I get decent range with it, but as with all CB's, the internal speaker is a little muffled. I would suggest an external speaker (for $20, you can't go wrong!)

I run a 55" K40 with my radio, but any whip style antenna with a coil base will do just fine! As Jcarr said, tune your radio with the "cal" (calibrate) feature and you are ready to do some talkin' driver.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any good radios I should be considering other than a Cobra 29?
also, I assume getting your radio "tweaked" means getting the output bumped up past 4 watts, is this something that has to be done at a CB shop?

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a uniden 76 built { I mean built } back about 93. Did a really good job til some ****** broke into my truck. Bought side-mic 29 classic with connex board,peeked & tuned,roadking 56 mic,wilson 2000 ant. Does a super job. Can't beat older radios

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought side-mic 29 classic with connex board,peeked & tuned,roadking 56 mic,wilson 2000 ant. Does a super job. Can't beat older radios

this setup is about the best setup up i have saw mentioned here on the OBN. matt if you take the above description of radio and have a radio setup like this you'll have a very good radio. the connex board really does nothing for the range of the radio only the audio.

someone mentioned the internal spkr being crumby :puke: yep i agree. i have several motorola external spkrs i'd sell for $15 shipped ready to plug in to your radio. only problem is i don't have mounting brackets for them.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if cobra still makes a side-mic. Like I said it's an older one. Have to look at back to see what year. They're out there,just gotta look around. Get a reputable radio doctor and he'll fix you up and you don't have to spend the mortgage to have a nice set up. Mine "dead-keys" 11 watts and "swings" 48 watts if I remember right. Have less than $200 in whole set up. Been using it for about 10 years now.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cobra has not made a side mic radio in over ten years. you'll hafta find a used one

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Just remember the antenna system is key!

A 40 dollar radio on a good antenna system will out talk a 400 dollar radio on a crappy poorly tuned antenna system.

Don't skimp on the antenna system
You want to tune the antenna for the lowest SWR across the band. Use a good antenna, coax cable and mounts. Ground the radio and antenna, RF ground not DC ground.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Just remember the antenna system is key!

A 40 dollar radio on a good antenna system will out talk a 400 dollar radio on a crappy poorly tuned antenna system.

Don't skimp on the antenna system
You want to tune the antenna for the lowest SWR across the band. Use a good antenna, coax cable and mounts. Ground the radio and antenna, RF ground not DC ground.

Define RF gound versus DC ground?

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking for an antenna that is as short as possible. I had a 2ft fiberglass one but it got broken as its not flexible enough. Im not looking for long range and what not, I only use my CB to listen to truckers when im on the road. my antenna is mounted to my headache rack on my service box and is the highest point on the truck, thats why i need to keep it short.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
The dc ground is to run something on the vehicles electrical system but you probably already knew that. The purpose of the RF ground is to bleed of stray RF and bond the antenna to what its going to be using as a ground plane. You want to keep RF grounds short for them to be effective and use a decent sized wire. Nothing smaller than 12 gauge.

For the radio go from the radio itself not the bracket to the nearest source of a good ground. Something like a large bolt under the dash or seat ect.

Magnet mount antennas don't apply but any type of solid mount should be grounded well. If you were to use the mirrors its a good idea to run a ground from the door to the cab. Again keeping it short as possible and using a heavy wire. Same thing applies when mounting to a tool box but you would want to run from the mount to the bed. Also helps to make sure everything is grounded to the frame well. Cab, bed, fenders, hood, etc.

Hope that helps some!

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I am looking for an antenna that is as short as possible. I had a 2ft fiberglass one but it got broken as its not flexible enough. Im not looking for long range and what not, I only use my CB to listen to truckers when im on the road. my antenna is mounted to my headache rack on my service box and is the highest point on the truck, thats why i need to keep it short.

Id look into a base loaded steel whip and make sure your head ache rack is grounded to the rest of the vehicle.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaker mounts= I've used little "L" shelf brackets from any hardware store. Also metal strips,a shop vise,drill and some measuring and you can make a nice one yourself.Same goes for radio mounts.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Cobra 29LTD bluetooth of amazon for $106.
I'm going down to my local peterbuilt tomorrow to pick up a 5' fiberglass whip antenna as well as a connex cable and mounting brackets.
stoked!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZTSpridgen

Members online