Radiator question

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My radiator has a pretty bad leak across the front at the top at the seam. When you squeeze the hose you can see water shooting out of about a 3 inch area. I've gotten conflicting answers on if it can be repaired or not ( some said yes, weld/ solder it, others said no its an alloy and you can't do it.) I'm thinking just put a new one in and be done with it... where is the best place to order one online?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a new one at a local radiator shop and it was about $200-300. It's been a few years and I cannot recall the price.

Heath

tractorman86

Reaction score
it's probably shot most shops wont touch it, some of the real big companies can fix it. ask gary about his aluminum rad, might not be out of your budget.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tanya-
take a wire brush and give the leaking area a good scrubbing.
if under the paint and crud reveals brass and lead, it's repairable. Often, due to the size of the radiators on these trucks, the lead solder loosens up with age. I have fixed many at the lead seam with a propane torch and some solder. If the leak it coming from the end tanks or on the tubing side of the core, it's time for a new radiator.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My Rodney Red aluminum radiator was $625.00 but..... Its not here yet.... Darn and we are seeing 105 degree heat here. What a great time to test the Red.. Try and have yours cleaned and repaired. Its really the cheapest direction. The cleaning will make the soldier joint thats leaking weld better most of the time. Its the crap that is getting into the crack thats so hard to soldier when its contaminated. Better radiator shops can do anything. Its the lazy ones that wont try to help you out. Much easier to install new, clean radiators..... Lazy, lazy shops.....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tanya, a good radiator repair shop will probably be able to fix it for you. I'd at least take it to one for an estimate. At least that way, if they say they can't repair it, then you've done half the work anyway. Most shops can source you a new one if they cannot repair it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you're doing any heavy towing those Rodney Red radiators can't be beat. I was the first one to have one of those things built, you can see it here Only downside is he's a one man custom shop so you'd still have to get your current one soldered together to hold it for about a month or so until the thing could get finished The good part is yours is the same rad as mine so as long as there's no custom intercooler setup on it, he already has the template for that radiator's tanks programmed into his lazer cutter and has the core worked out.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tanya-
take a wire brush and give the leaking area a good scrubbing.
if under the paint and crud reveals brass and lead, it's repairable. Often, due to the size of the radiators on these trucks, the lead solder loosens up with age. I have fixed many at the lead seam with a propane torch and some solder. If the leak it coming from the end tanks or on the tubing side of the core, it's time for a new radiator.

+1 on the "if it's brass you can fix it". I have drained radiators and fixed small seam leaks on the top of the tank area on more than one brass radiator with a wire brush, plumbing flux and some decent solder. Better to pull it out and fix it, but if it's up high and easy to access with a propane without burning anything it's worth a shot. If you run your hand accross the fins and they dissintegrate, get a new one.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My radiator has a pretty bad leak across the front at the top at the seam. When you squeeze the hose you can see water shooting out of about a 3 inch area. I've gotten conflicting answers on if it can be repaired or not ( some said yes, weld/ solder it, others said no its an alloy and you can't do it.) I'm thinking just put a new one in and be done with it... where is the best place to order one online?

I am well pleased with my Ready Rad from Advance Auto Parts.

I would not hesitate to buy another like it.

If you have one leak, you're only a short time from having a complete failure; it ain't no fun to be a long way from home and the whole tank blow off the radiator.

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input. This radiator is only about 4 years old, I would have thought it would have lasted a little longer than this. Oh and its been soldered once but it isn't holding. I can't recall where we got it at. Oh and its been soldered once but it isn't holding. Anyhow, I'll try to find a radiator shop to take it to first and see what I can do from there. Thanks guys! :)

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input. This radiator is only about 4 years old, I would have thought it would have lasted a little longer than this. I can't recall where we got it at. Anyhow, I'll try to find a radiator shop to take it to first and see what I can do from there. Thanks guys! :)
tanya-
you want to post a pic of the issue?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input. This radiator is only about 4 years old, I would have thought it would have lasted a little longer than this. I can't recall where we got it at. Anyhow, I'll try to find a radiator shop to take it to first and see what I can do from there. Thanks guys! :)

4 years old???
That's pretty pityful if it popped a seam. What kind of pressure cap have you got on the thing and how old is it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86