Radiator full of oil...still runs like normal???

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking also... since my radiator has a large amount of oil in it now rather that pushing that through the motor I think I will remove all hoses from the radiator and flush it seperately before running through the flush procedure mentioned by you guys.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The radiator drain petcocks. Can I pick them up at Vato-Zone or some place specific? I think thats an excellent idea. I have never pulled my block plugs so when I re-install or replace with the petcocks is there something I should use as a sealant or just the plugs themselves?

So for the flush I will replace the top hose and Bottom radiator hose (had to cut it) maybe with a junkyard set. Take out the block plugs so the water from the garden hose can wash out the oil. Start the truck THEN insert the hose with the water flow on very low and slowly increase until there is adequate flow from the engine blocks.

I plan to purchase the flush solution but before I used it I was told that dawn dish soap will also work as a detergent for the oil. I was thinking about running the dish soap through first. Then running the flush solution for any remaining residue and soap? What do you think?

Get some pipe thread sealant for the petcocks, it will be in little tubes made by permatex etc
Don't use Dawn, too hard to get all the residue out, stick with the radiator cleaner and do a final rinse flush after changing the hoses to remove the remaining residue.
Dawn is actually rather harsh ( used to use that stuff to clean off old nasty semi 5th wheel plates that were caked up with years of nasty, it would eat it right off to surface rust :eek:

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about just the radiator for the dish soap. Obviously the majority of the oil collected inside. I was thinking I could unhook the radiator from the motor completely and fill it with Dawn Then run HOT water from my water heater out to flush the radiator??? maybe run it from the top down and gravity take over? Im talking scolding hot water and let it fill up and drain until its drinkable! Let me know what you think. Probably tackle this on saturday.

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cooler is rebuilt. The o-rings weren't even rubber any more. Brittle and hard as a rock. I didnt have to cut them off they just fell apart when I touched them. Cleaned the cooler and header mounts with carb cleaner and a wire brush. I used small floor jack with a folded towel on the plate and pressed the front header in using the frame of my truck and another towel at the top to be safe. I had removed my lower rad. hose to get the cooler out and made the mistake of putting the hose on before re-installing the cooler (waiting for the o rings to arrive). I had to remove the hose a second time and the factory clamp at the top is not easy to work with so for anyone doing this its best to leave the lower hose off while re-installing the cooler. Bolted in the front header with gasket then used alot of colorful words, prybar, small 2x4, and lots of muscle to get the front header on then bolted up with the gasket. Changed my oil and started the flushing process. One flush down starting on 2 and 3 tonight. I did flush the radiator first with the hoses unhooked. I used hot water and prestone flush solution. The coolant that gets mixed with the oil (sitting for weeks) coagulates the motor oil and makes life harder in this instance. It is best I would think to flush your system asap. I will be changing my hoses probably another 2 times to play it safe as well. Would like to thank everyone for their input on this. I was first shopping for new motors and now I am back in action and my son is very excited to ride in daddys truck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online