Quick stupid return line question

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Planning on getting started with my return line R&R today. My kit arrived from Russ, and has a large sealed sack that contains everything and another smaller sack with more o-rings and olives.

Just wanted to confirm, the smaller sacks contents are what I want to use (Viton vs rubber)?

Measure fifteen times, cut once. :)

See, told ya it was quick and stupid. Thanks in advance.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like Mike said.....

The extra o-rings and olives in the smaller bag are the ones you should use. Russ hooked you up with the good stuff.LOL

Heath

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cant believe they dont just supply viton with the injectors, after all it is a high temp app. Oh well im happy to provide the proper materials.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So, What will you be doing with the non viton o-rings??/ Add to the dashboard collection of roadside treasures that some of us find???:sly:angel: My Dad had so much crap he found on the roads sitting all across his dah that if he was in an acident that stuff would harm him when it flew around the cab... We coined a name for his 63 chevy 6 cylinder pickup truck... It was the Hooterville Special. We all loved that messy, dirty truck... RIP Dad.....

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool beans. Was held up late at work today...********. So I've got maybe 1.75hrs of daylight left. Already have the evens off. Every single cap in there snapped off in several pieces in my hand. I think only one nipple out of them all on the four even side caps survived. lol

The wife always said I am ******* the nipples.. :sly

As for the non-viton... yeah, they'll end up in my toolbag along with every other oddball bolt and nut I find. Never know when you'll need 'em. I think I might be related to icanfixall with my odds-n-ends hoarding. I've only had the truck a few months, so its not full yet. ;)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Hello... I am a hoarder of most things mechanical. I never pass up a good deal either... There is no hope for me nor is there a cure. PS... I'm never ******* nipples. I always use the correct wrench for them....

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This sucks. I am only halfway through this mess. Got the drivers side all off, wiped down, replaced with viton rings, caps and lines back on. The passenger side has only had its nuts loosened. My gut is tender and my forearms are cut up from laying over the radiator and fighting with the stupid old hose. 12/28/88 is the date on it. Original? I'd like to think so. All the o-rings were crusty and "welded" into their grooves, requiring careful cutting with a knife to remove. The hose is hard as a rock, and required removal of intake bolts around #8 to free up the rear tee to "whittle" the old hose off the barbs.

Holy crap Batman.

It is now dark, and I am tired of this mess. Heh. I have to wait for the woman to get home so I can hook up the genny trailer to the car and drag it around the other side of the house to get me some light. I need to start keeping some adult beverages in the refrigerator for times like this.

Reaction score
If the hoses and caps are painted gray to match the engine, they're original.

To get the old rings off, use a dental pick tool to pull the ring out from the injector body, then use a razor blade to slice it away. Worked great for me. As for getting the old hose off, a razor blade works well here as well. Make a nice long slice along the length of the hose, then splay it open. It'll fall off the tee.

Remember to remove one entire side as an assembly that way you can fab the new set and use the old one to compare.

I was the first person to ever do the return lines on my truck, so I feel your pain.

Mike

Last edited:

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best mod on my truck was a nice big towel over the radiator and support to keep me from laying on those sharp edges. Easy to remove for driving too! Those things hurt your arms for sure. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online