Quick question

IDI_Journeyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello oil burners, I'm in the process of buying a cheap 6.9 idi with a sidewinder. The shaft doesn't have any axial play, it has some radial play but it isn't touching the housing. It puts up 10 lbs of boost easy and spools nice. My question is this is on a automatic trans and my truck has a zf5. Is there any modifications I have to make to get it to fit on my truck? Iv noticed when you buy a new sidewinder online you have to specify the trans you have. Also how much better would this turbo be compared to my ats 088 kit I have? My truck is a 1985 7.3 idi 4x4

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only difference is the auto kit comes with a new dipstick tube and if it was an e4od a trans command controller. You should have no issues

IDI_Journeyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right on, thanks a lot man Do you will think I'll see a big difference with the sidewinder compared to the 088 ats kit?

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a question for typ4 or the wespaul. Both are members here typ4 rebuilds turbo's and is very knowledgeable with all of them. Thewespaul I believe has done several test setups with various turbo's. I only have seat time with the winder that is on my truck when I bought it it seems ok, but I'm sure they all have their good and bad.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on what kind of driving you do, if you’re doing a lot of highway then I’d say keep the 088. The sidewinder will spool up faster but with the tight exhaust housing it becomes a choke point fairly quickly. If you do a lot a city driving, the wastegated turbo will be a nice upgrade.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sidewinder is a lot better than people think. With a 7.3, unplug the wastegate, or at least adjust it a *lot*, so it doesn't open before 14-15 psi. A sidewinder will handle 15-ish reasonably, and that's more than enough air for a stock pump. There's no reason you can't end up at around 220RWHP(vs <125 NA) with a maxed-out stock IP and sidewinder. That... pulls quite nicely.

IDI_Journeyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where I live there is a lot of steep hills to get from town to town, the 088 kit does alright but Iv always heard the sidewinder is a lot better

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the non waste gated??? That's what my truck has seems to spool pretty quickly and my truck gets up and goes fairly decent.. hills are a breeze.. but even better with a load behind it.. I've heard the non waste gated is better for towing??? Still blows a little black if I really get on it empty though... Bluish white with a load till I get to crusing speed, looking for a shop to do timing..

Bonus... after some of the work I've been doing I can actually hear it whistle now