quick 3g install question

Deezelcaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am doing my 3g upgrade and i have a question. How are you guys hooking the 4guage charge wire to the battery? are you just gigging them together on the starter solenoid? thanx in advance

joe f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i ran mine threw a maxi fuse but i ran it stait to the termail on ther sellnoid

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
120 Amp circuit breaker

I ran mine thru a Raptor 120 amp circuit breaker.

You must be registered for see images attach

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ours is at the battery, and it's no 4-gauge but 1/0 :D Rule of thumb is hook it up to whatever most of your electrical devices are hooked up. On our IDI the glowplugs and everything non-factory pulls directly from the batteries, so that's where the alternator charges. Of course if you have something like 1/0 cable between your p/s battery and the starter relay on the fender, you can hook up the alternator wherever you please. The situations you want to avoid is alternator hooked to battery with all your loads pulling from the relay and a relatively small cable between the two, or ofc the opposite with everything drawing off the batteries with the alt charging at the relay and again a small cable between the two. In reality most IDIs won't care what you do so long as cables are big, and 4-gauge is usually plenty enough for anything short of starter power feed.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I went to the battery as it made the most sense from where I had available to mount the fuse, and also for where the loads are. I have not upgraded wiring to my solenoids yet, but will do 2/0 to those to match batteries and grounds so there will be plenty of current to tap accessories there. If you use sufficiently large cable it doesn't matter where you tie in the charge cable, particularly given how close your options are.

You must be registered for see images attach

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is hooked to the relay hot post with 4 gauge through a 150A Bussman circuit breaker. That's where the main power for the fuse box attaches, so that's the largest draw while running (at least on my truck).

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW: Always run a big fuse on it, 120-150 amp. Look to the car audio aftermarket for fuses and holders. There are a few Mustangs that burned up from bypassed regulators and no fuses with 3g alts.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Yeah, cheap insurance to have any longer runs fused. I used this mega fuse holder since all the local stored seem to have mega fuses but nothing to properly mount it. I guess we have the big cable to the starter that is unfused but it's prudent to check and make sure it's not falling apart and is not able to rub on anything. Not sure how many amps the starter pulls but probably not realistic to fuse it.

I did have an interesting time on a long trip, went to fire up my car the next morning and it kept cranking after it started and after I turned the key off. Lots of smoke. Cable from the starter to solenoid had found its way against the manifold and melted through the insulation. It was a mad dash for a half inch wrench to disconnect the battery as I didn't see the problem right away with all the smoke and excitement.

Deezelcaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanx to all! I have the mega fuse holder and 175a fuse for the system. I guess my problem is that I have the top automotive tapered posts on my battery and I don't think there is a great way to attach another heavy cable to it unless I put it on the clamp bolt. Is that what you guys are doing? Thanx

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've put the alt feed on the clamp bolt on my 'stang. No issues yet.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess my problem is that I have the top automotive tapered posts on my battery and I don't think there is a great way to attach another heavy cable to it unless I put it on the clamp bolt. Is that what you guys are doing? Thanx

Yup, 2 extra postives and 3 extra grounds on the driver-side battery, passenger side has like 5 extra positives and again 3 extra grounds All via the terminal clamp bolts. Not fun to disassemble, but gets the job done.