Questions and problems once agian

junior20762003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going on oilburners having problems again with the ol ford

Today I drove 250 miles one way very very hilli my temperature gauge climbed to the A I pulled off went down within roughly 3 minutes of an idle

Got back on and stopped at the nearest town 20 miles down waited 30 minutes at a store radiator was full but I noticed a bunch of black **** floating around in my radiator I have never seen anything like this never even had overheating problems

My truck

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kinda black stuff did you find in the rad, did it look like maybe oil droplets?

Also when your engine temp starter to climb did you hear the fan starting to make more noise? It could be that its clutch is slipping and the fan simply don't move as much air as it should, I had that issue with my truck and nearly overheated it once after getting stuck in Chicagoland morning commute, you won't know the clutch is shot until you spend a long time idling in hot weather you have to pull some long steep grades again in hot weather or under heavy load...

junior20762003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually it might be oil i just got home ill take some pictures tomorrow soon as i get up what does it mean if i have oil in the radiator

there where a bunch of hills truck did horribly slowing down to 55 over and over and i wasn't even hauling anything really this is starting to make me change my mind about this idi over heating had tons of black smoke and felt like it had no power what so ever

if been doing alot of driving over the past month and i haven't had no issues but today just wasn't right

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
After fixing my temperature sensor problem, I have determined that around the O and R in normal, means my truck is running at about 200 - 205 degrees if that's any help as to how warm your engine was.....or rather how warm your factory "indicator" was telling you it was.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find the factory gauge is stable and useful, just not calibrated. Mine is on the second leg of N at 194 on the mechanical. That's where she always sits. If 200-205 is O/R then I would guess junior put his to 215-220 on the A. Getting hot, and time to shut her down, but not catastrophic. I always think of stuck thermostat first at that temp but crap in the radiator is not good no matter what it is or where it came from. Seems time to drain it and have a good look.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
As previously mentioned, was the fan clutch heard engaging?

FWIW a set of mechanigal gauges will tell best what temps you were running.

Seen a stock temp gauge hold steady while the mechanical gauge was climbing. The factory gauges are just not enough to do it for me.

Now for the black crap in your coolant, I'm suspecting oil cooler o-ring failure in your future if you and the PO have been diligent with the SCA levels in the coolant.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
As previously mentioned, was the fan clutch heard engaging?

FWIW a set of mechanigal gauges will tell best what temps you were running.

Seen a stock temp gauge hold steady while the mechanical gauge was climbing. The factory gauges are just not enough to do it for me.

Now for the black crap in your coolant, I'm suspecting oil cooler o-ring failure in your future if you and the PO have been diligent with the SCA levels in the coolant.

Agreed 100% on the gauges and the oil cooler!

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ron, what is the relation between SCAs and oil cooler failure?
I think hes suggesting if its got proper SCA then its not cavitation causing oil in coolant, oil coolers fail eventually.. could be headgasket too, notice any bubbles when its running?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Ron, what is the relation between SCAs and oil cooler failure?

None at all.

Just ruling out a possible cavitation issue or HG failure possibilities.

With him having a Texas truck and working on Mr. Diesels Texas truck, the extreme heat from the weather compounded with the heat of the engines seem to reall do a number on rubber gaskets and orings on the trucks.

Turns oil cooler o-rings to fricking stone!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online