questions abt a e4od - zf swap...

ejmfire530

Reaction score
First off is it worth it??? Second off what all would consist of doing this? Is there a writeup on this do I just need a zf tranny bolt up and go or what?? My truck is a 94 7.3 non turbo idi but I am going to be putting an 093 ats turbo setup in soon as I get the exhaust situated

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to go the same route, but I have recently started appreciating the E4OD trans.

performancelaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the swap is well worth it ! You'll feel like you have added horses. I just did mine and love it. You'll need the fly wheel , clutch etc , clutch pedal assy , master cylinder , slave cylinder and the line that goes between them. And if course the tranny. You may have to shorten or lengthen the drive shaft ? Once you.get the tranny in there you'll have to bypass the natural safety. I used a jumper wire and just crossed it until the truck started. Then I cut the two wires and put them together. Both the auto and five speed use the same starter. It's pretty easy. If you and a buddy get on it. You can have it done in a days time. Good luck. You'll enjoy the truck more once you do it.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you tow, its well worth it. If you don't like shifting alot and just use it as a daily driver, its probably not worth it. I guess I was a rare case because I got a new clutch kit and flywheel, new master, new clutch pedal assembly, used 4x4 ZF5 transmission, driveshafts, crossmember, skidplates, slave cylinder, pressure line, and clutch fork all for $1150 total. Then I sold my E4OD as a package with everything else for $1250.

But I love my truck as manual MUCH better, and if you prefer manual its much better and much more fun.:D

pacaman

Reaction score
What about going the other way. I love my truck but I have a bum knee on the clutch side. I am considering a ZF5 to E4OD swap. I mainly use the truck for towing a 30' 5th wheel and a 24' goose neck (approx GVW 12k) it is a 4x4 and 3.55 rear. Should I be thinking about this swap or sell it and replace it with an automatic truck?