Questions about Ford/Cummins conversion

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently looking into a Cummins conversion for my '88 Ford 4x4 with a tired 7.3 IDI. I have a 5-speed manual, which I gather is the zf5. I was thinking about putting in a remanufactured 7.3 with a Banks turbo kit, which would run about $7,000 roughly. However, when I started doing research on my options for a turbo kit when I heard about the Cummins conversion. So now, I'm trying to get some info on what a conversion entails exactly. So far I've gathered that I would probably want to mate a 94-98 12V to my transmission with an adapter plate. It seems like a lot of engineering has already been done on motor mounts to place the engine in the optimal spot, so I would probably spring for a set. I don't plan on running the truck hard, but may turn up the engine a little for the fun factor. Oh, I will be doing this myself, as I feel I have the skills needed.
So here are my questions:

1) Will the zf5 with 4:10 gears run the motor too high in its rpm range?

2) Is there any modification to the transmission/transfer case location and therefore drive shaft length?

3) I'm still considering a new IDI with a turbo kit, but I'm wondering if I could do the Cummins swap for the same money or less?

4) I'm wondering how the intercooler is setup on the truck and if the radiator/intercooler from a Dodge is generally put in, or is an aftermarket intercooler placed in front of the Ford radiator.

5) What type of clutch setup is to be used in my application, Ford clutch/TO bearing, Dodge clutch/TO bearing, combination?

6) Will the cruise control of the Ford work with the Cummins?

7) Any space issues when placing the Cummins in the Ford?

8) Anything else I've not thought of and should consider?

Thanks a lot and I appreciate your time
mR

1) It will run high but nothing a 3200 rpm spring can't fix.
2)It most likely will need some modification but is no big deal.
3)I'm selling My low mile engine low mile turbo and 5spd transmission right now if You are interested.
4)You can use the dodge radiator but the ford is much better in My opinion. The dodge IC is ok I have a banks on mine but most dodge guys seem to like the 99psd IC.
5)Dodge flywheel and ford pressure plate and clutch I believe. Destrokeddotcom has already made plates (Calvin there are pic on that web site) that come with the part necessary to make it work I believe You need a special ring that they sell.
6)I plan to make mine work and don't see why it wouldn't
7)You'll have to remove the ac box on the firewall since it is too close to the turbo better fabricate Yourself one aluminum, You'll need different mounts and might need to massage the firewall depending on Your model truck and maybe a few more things.
8) Don't rule out the 89-93 (first gen) engines, they are very good too.

Welcome.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
the conversion is easy as hell, can be done in a weekend.

Like hell it can,...

So if your telling me that you pulled your truck into the garage on Friday night with an IDI, and drove it to work on Monday morning with a Cummins, all of the guages, ac, cruise, working, no leaks etc, I have a hard time believing that.

If you got the Cummins dropped in and was able to get it fired up buy Monday, that in iteslf is a impressive Feat!

I just know that I took my time with my conversion, (bout 4 months) but I did a lot of extra work to the truck in the process.

But if you can do it in a weekend than you should go in the buisness of doing these conversions. There are companies that charge $4,950 just for the labor to do the swap, not including parts. You could make some good coin!

amjperformance

Supporting vendor
Reaction score
If you can do it in a weekend, then we have a job opening for you. Pack you bags and come on over to AMJPerformance.