Question? (new to Diesels)

Diesel Dan

Reaction score
I have a 2003 F350 with a 6.0L in it I purchased a Edge juice chip with the attitude monitor and was wondering about the EGT temp. what limits should I be concerend with. Is 1350 egt too high? Thanks for any help
Dan

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
1350 on a consistent basis isn't healthy, a lot of draggers/pullers will hit 1600, but won't stay there that long.

I keep my temps under 1300 to be safe.

rgdillon

Junior Newbie
Reaction score
I very rarely get over 1200/1250 myself. So you still have a stock exhaust on?

Ron

Diesel Dan

Reaction score
rgdillon said:

Ron
still have stock exhaust. when I'm driving down the road normal the egt temp stays in the 5 to 7 hundred degree range is that normal or is that high also. when I get on it it will go up to around 1200

rgdillon

Junior Newbie
Reaction score
Diesel Dan said:
still have stock exhaust. when I'm driving down the road normal the egt temp stays in the 5 to 7 hundred degree range is that normal or is that high also. when I get on it it will go up to around 1200

I'm going to say that your in the "normal" range. Larger exhaust will help lower that somewhat - but if you can manage it I wouldn't worry about the extra expense of an exhaust.

Ron

Diesel Dan

Reaction score
rgdillon said:
I'm going to say that your in the "normal" range. Larger exhaust will help lower that somewhat - but if you can manage it I wouldn't worry about the extra expense of an exhaust.

Ron
Thank you Ron your a big help I am new to these diesels and wasn't sure what temps I should be worried about. Thanks again. Dan

rgdillon

Junior Newbie
Reaction score
Diesel Dan said:
Thank you Ron your a big help I am new to these diesels and wasn't sure what temps I should be worried about. Thanks again. Dan

No problem Dan - we all had the same questions at one point or another. Best thing to do is simply read as much as you can. Maybe try to find a Power Stroke or Diesel club in your area - then you will be around folks that have the same interest and would be a great source of info. Don't know what area you are in but there are clubs all across the states. http://www.powerstrokedieselstuff.com/ has a club listing - my club, NOVAPS is in there :thumbsup:
Also run on over to: http://www.superdutydiesel.com/ it's the sister site of OB that is strictly Ford Super Duty. It's new but gaining ground everyday. ;Sweet
Good luck with your truck and don't be afraid to ask questions or for help.

Ron

Puddle Pirate

Pillage For Diesel
Reaction score
rgdillon said:

Ron

Interesting.

I have yet to hit 1200 degrees. Perhaps I have not hit the right environment for that yet. The highest I have seen was 1100 pulling the Grapevine out of LA towing my 12,750 lb fifth wheel.

What you doing to hit 1250?

I changed to a Silverline 4" exhaust within the first 1,000 miles on this truck.

On edit: I wonder if the 4.10 gears make any difference as I notice you also have a 4" Silverline.

Wow! I just noticed that yours is Horse Poop Green too! At leat that does not have any effect on exhaust temps :D

Last edited:

rgdillon

Junior Newbie
Reaction score
Puddle Pirate said:
Interesting.

I have yet to hit 1200 degrees. Perhaps I have not hit the right environment for that yet. The highest I have seen was 1100 pulling the Grapevine out of LA towing my 12,750 lb fifth wheel.

What you doing to hit 1250?

When I say rarely - I mean 3 or 4 times since I have had the truck. Couple of times towing, let's say, a little on the heavy side and hitting real steep inclines. Another time was during a beta test of a chip.

I changed to a Silverline 4" exhaust within the first 1,000 miles on this truck.

On edit: I wonder if the 4.10 gears make any difference as I notice you also have a 4" Silverline.

Put mine on at 36 miles :D just long enough to get home from the dealer. And the 4.10's might have some say in it - I never got over 1200 when I had my dually.

Wow! I just noticed that yours is Horse Poop Green too! At leat that does not have any effect on exhaust temps :D

Not that your my hero or anything :hail :hail - but after seeing your Zaino pictures it pretty much sealed my color choice. Ten more days and she will be one year old!

Ron

Puddle Pirate

Pillage For Diesel
Reaction score
rgdillon said:
When I say rarely - I mean 3 or 4 times since I have had the truck. Couple of times towing, let's say, a little on the heavy side and hitting real steep inclines. Another time was during a beta test of a chip.

Put mine on at 36 miles :D just long enough to get home from the dealer. And the 4.10's might have some say in it - I never got over 1200 when I had my dually.

Not that your my hero or anything :hail :hail - but after seeing your Zaino pictures it pretty much sealed my color choice. Ten more days and she will be one year old!

Ron

No, no, no! You da Man! High Five!! We ought to start a Horse Poop Green Club!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance