Question abut atf in fuel filter clean up?

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
I also had a stalling issue. I read about the ATF trick. Tried it. It worked for me.

I had heard about putting ATF in the tanks of diesel trucks back in the '80s from the truck drivers at the Transit mix place I worked at.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Individual mileage may vary, and stalling can be caused by different things. I do believe ATF does help with SOME kinds of IP contamination issues, but not all. Obviously when someone tries it and it doesn't work, they are going to assume that it NEVER works, and that just would not be true. I think we can all agree that it doesn't hurt to try it. I don't know what others have done, but I have always advocated for doing this with a NEW fuel filter, and not the one on the truck. So we have to assume that in some cases, its possible that just putting a new filter on, sometimes does the trick also.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People in the GM 6.2-6.5L community report that running straight ATF has caused the head and rotor of DB-2 pumps to "hydrolock" momentarily and snap the shaft due to the increased viscosity of the ATF versus diesel fuel. These anecdotal reports are as valuable and useful as any that report a miraculous cure, if we are going to accept all anecdotal stories as factual and give them weight, then we must give them all weight.

In trying to think of why this ATF thing MIGHT work, I wonder if it's not the slug of viscous oil that is effecting a "cure." The ATF isn't in there long enough to do much from a cleaning standpoint (plus is isn't that great of a cleaner). According to my references, #2 diesel fuel has a viscosity of 1.3-4 cSt, depending on temperature. Warm, it would be at the low end and cold at the high. ATF is variable, but usually in the 20 grade area around 7 cSt at 210F (100C) or 36 cSt at 100F (40C). Given diesel fuel is going to be maybe 100F at the warmest, your pump is operating normally on fluid that is 1.3 cSt. So by putting ATF thru that is probably even COOLER than 100F, you are putting a fluid thru the pump that is 36 TIMES thicker than the pump is designed for. I don't know, but that seems way more that the viscosity compensator in the pump can deal with if it's expecting and designed to see fuel in the 1.3-4 cSt range. The thicker fluid can't be pumped as easily, so more stress is placed on the various components and the fluid either is pumped or something breaks in the process. If there are stuck parts in the pump causing a problem, and increased viscosity might force them to move.

So, Mel, what exactly happens to a pump when you put really thick stuff thru it? Have you ever put a pump on the stand and tested what happens from increasing the viscosity of the test oil? Who knows, maybe it's not good for your test stand but I'll be somebody has done it.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Maybe it is the air that is introduced to the fuel system that gives everything an extra wiggle, while the governor tries to control the idle.

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am currently driving on straight WATF from a local garage. The last two years (60,000) miles have been on WMO about 60% of the time. For a time (250 gal) I ran straight WMO with out any blending. That was a little hard starting some times. I watched videos on YT for three years (skeptical but intrigued) before buying this truck with the sole purpose of testing it with every fluid available. Other than the original pump (that had a rebuild tag from 1990) losing it's ability to advance the timing, I have had no adverse effects. My experience is certainly not scientific, and lack of funds have often made it laughably abusive to my truck, but after 60,000 miles on waste oil I am interested to see Mel test an IP to see what it takes to snap a shaft.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
The world is flat. Noticing that ships drop out of the horizon and inferring that it might be round is just anecdotal. Science has proven that the world is flat any any evidence that interferes with my belief in this will be ignored.

Can't have a discussion with someone with that mentality.

So, how 'bout those Mets?

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The world is flat. Noticing that ships drop out of the horizon and inferring that it might be round is just anecdotal. Science has proven that the world is flat any any evidence that interferes with my belief in this will be ignored.

Can't have a discussion with someone with that mentality.

So, how 'bout those Mets?

Sadly, you must have meant to send that to yourself.

Try responding without insults next time and perhaps a bit more directly on the fact I presented. If you can.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People in the GM 6.2-6.5L community report that running straight ATF has caused the head and rotor of DB-2 pumps to "hydrolock" momentarily and snap the shaft due to the increased viscosity of the ATF versus diesel fuel. These anecdotal reports are as valuable and useful as any that report a miraculous cure, if we are going to accept all anecdotal stories as factual and give them weight, then we must give them all weight..

Exactly, if basing thinking upon anecdotal evidence, ALL anecdotal evidence MUST be weighed with the same scrutiny, otherwise, we are letting our personal opinions cloud 'the facts'

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gonna try this on our old 3208 cat-powered yard truck. It won't stay running under 1000 rpm or so. Kinda unhandy for moving loads slowly. will report back.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gonna try this on our old 3208 cat-powered yard truck. It won't stay running under 1000 rpm or so. Kinda unhandy for moving loads slowly. will report back.

i'll be more surprised if it doesn't work for ya than if it does.good luck!

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Now class"
Play nice, remember it would be awful boring if there were no differences between us.
Shall we get into a discussion about atf quieting down hydraulic lifters while were at it?

Just thought about diesel rx?????
Hmmm

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score

i'll be more surprised if it doesn't work for ya than if it does.good luck!

Well it didn't work. Actually not too surprised. The old truck basically idles around the yard, moving trailers in and out of the shop. Got a air suspension with some handy-dandy ball valves in the cab for raising and lowering to meet fifth-wheel plates on various trailers. Using the old A/C compressor for air supply. So yeah, basically no maintenance other than absolutely necessary to get the job done.....so not too amazing that it is what it is.

Edit: Hmmmm maybe I oughta try some of Al's "diesel purge" blah blah techniques LOL LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.