quality timing light with advance

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, got my ferret and a timing light. I was amazed at the lack of technical information to be found on the timing lights available. Frankly, i don't care if a timing light is shaped like a phaser or if it flexible enough to perform self ********. If I want to spend hundreds on a tarted up presentation, I know exactly where to go for that and it doesn't involve diesel fumes. I want to know how accurate and precise the advance is. I finally gave up in frustration and bought an actron because at least they tell me it is 1/2 degree resolution with +- 1 degree accuracy.

So, anyone have a timing light that claims to do better than that?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
A lot of them *claim* all kinds of accuracy specs, but MSD ignition ran a bunch of tests here a while back , trying to find the best timing tools to use with their high end racing products that some are secondary timed at 8000 rpm when checking advance curves and found that most all timing lights , including most of the expensive big name ones, would float and not give an accurate reading when approaching 2000 rpms ( yeah, right where we need the thing to work for our engines) Most became unstable by around 1800. The only consistant exceptions to this were the Craftsman , and the Ferret and the MSD lights( incedently, Ferret makes the lights for MSD ) Even the seriously expensive snappy and MAC etc lights were floaters and you have to take this into account when timing with any of them

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer for me i guess. I will be testing out an actron and see if it ghosts. I would have spent the coin on the ferret if they had linked that article

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• DVC01352.JPG
    DVC01352.JPG
    285.6 KB · Views: 7
  • DVC01355.JPG
    DVC01355.JPG
    291.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DVC01357.JPG
    DVC01357.JPG
    280.3 KB · Views: 3

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the Actron a couple times with the ferret. First time, no float. Second time very minor float. RPMS read in 10s. Advance reads in 10ths which was a happy surprise

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the Actron, I found out that the Quartz pickup is pretty sensitive depending on the condition of the steel injector line. Gotta make sure all the paint and/or rust is removed, polish the line good, and the closer to the injector the better. At 2000 RPM, the injection happens twice each second for 0.0023 of a second, thats fast. I believe the condition of the IP has an effect on the floating issue, no proof in that, but seems so from truck to truck. If you would get a lot of float on #1 cyl., try the pickup on #4 to see if it changes.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very good point. It wasn't enough of a problem such that I couldn't get a good reading. Rebuilt uhaul pump was installed and timed this time around so the pump was different. I didn't reclean the injector line but the float was very minimal so didn't affect me being able to see the timing move as I changed the advance on the timing light.