Pyro Failure

B

Big K

Looks like my pyro is dead, or dying.

Last week, while @ hiway cruise, needle started to climb rapidly. S'prised me, I lifted, still climbing, then stopped and came back to normal. :confused: Continued to function normally.

Yesterday, while stopping to shutdown, once again needle climbs, quivers, drops and returns to normal. Later in the day, make short trip, pull up to shutdown, and needle is @ 6 o'clock, pegged. Flutters all around, returns to pegged.

Autometer street performance probe and gauge. Post turbo. Never been exposed to excessive temps. All external wiring and connections are loomed, heat shrunk, and fastened.

Guess we tear into it this wknd and see if we can find anything wrong. Anyone have any experience with this?

MUDDY

Reaction score
wow,,,,,,,,nvr had that happen. but had inacurate pyro b4. 1 more reason i have 2nd pyro probe/guage.be intrsted to see wht u find

B

Big K

Worked perfectly all day today. Put on about 300 miles.

:confused:

Still gonna check some wiring, 'specially ground location.

Fishin2Deep4U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eric,

check the lead wires to the pyro. Sounds like you have something touching. If the funtion is the same as other sending units that measure resistance, all it would take is a short to peg a needle. Usually, this happens at the connection point of the pyro and the lead wire harness. Check your connections in the cab as well.

Bad ground? Could be! Let us know what you find.

If I can ever get my lazy butt out that way, I'll be happy to help you troubleshoot.

Dave

paccool

Reaction score
The same sort of thing happenened to mine after it was installed. Turned out to be what Dave said. The connection point where the pyro lead joined the wiring that goes to the gauge had a bad connection. Would read high then low then normal. Redid the connection and it has worked fine since. That was about 3 years ago.

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pyro (Isspro) on my Blazer started getting inaccurate - Cleaning and renewing all the connections fixed it! Autometers have some sort of amplifier box dont they?? My Westach doesnt.

B

Big K

Still dunno, folks. Inspected everything visible today. All by the book. Loctite, heat shrink, loomed, tied, etc. Good ground connection. Probe looks good. Good connections @ gauge. Moved on to other projects. See what happens. :confused:

Rip Rook

Reaction score
I'd call the dirty SOB I'd purchased it from & make him warranty it ! I believe the Autometer warranty is 1yr. I finally got to see a failed thermocouple here recently, but it was an Isspro (with the amplifier) not an autometer....

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rip Rook
I'd call the dirty SOB I'd purchased it from & make him warranty it ! I believe the Autometer warranty is 1yr. I finally got to see a failed thermocouple here recently, but it was an Isspro (with the amplifier) not an autometer....

Ya, tell that dirty S.O.B where he can put your gauge.:fight:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner