Pyro clam-on probe at BP

wildbill_hickup

Reaction score
At Banks Power the mention a Pyro with a clamp on probe. Has antone used one of these and how well do they work? Are they insulated so ambient air temp is less of a factor? I assume they measure the temp of the manifold so they are going to be somewhat slower in reaction time.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
If it is like mine, you drill a 3/16" hole into the pipe (as close to the manifold as possible) and then insert the probe and a hose clamp goes around the pipe and is tightened. This holds the probe in the exhaust stream. I have a Westach, dual sweep with a probe in each down pipe, works nice.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
The temp reading will come from the tip of the probe, plus the exhaust system is pressurized so it won't be sucking in cold air. The clamp on will work just fine.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
argve said:
The temp reading will come from the tip of the probe, plus the exhaust system is pressurized so it won't be sucking in cold air. The clamp on will work just fine.

I think he was thinking it just clamped to the outside of the pipe/manifold, maybe I am wrong though.

wildbill_hickup

Reaction score
sle2115, yas I missunderstood 'clamp-on' I did think it just was a clampon device to clampto the manifold. However just drilling a single small hole is probably better than all that tapping.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I need to pay more attention to what section I'm in... Dude you got a cummins so just drill and tap the manifold. It's a tough nut but it can be done. Just go slow and easy. Locate it just in front of the turbo - there is a center divider in the collection portion of the manifold. If you pull the turbo off you will see where to locate the pyro. This is the best place to take the temp from

FaC

Reaction score
I have the clamp on version on the driver's side downpipe and it works well. I decided that I did not really want to mess with the cast manifold (yes, i admit it - I am a chicken ;-)

FaC

stacerbob

Borderline Genius
Reaction score
It has a hose clamp with a hole in it to hold the probe into the manifold, there is a fiber washer for a seal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online