puting strait axle in a 94 f250

lynch

little stinker
Reaction score
:rotflmao LOL

If it floats your boat go for it man! I love seeing what people can come up with.

Personally I don't see the point of allot of these engine swaps people do. But I guess those guys probably don't understand why people like me put a $750 injection pump, $200 intercooler and a hundred hours of fabrication time into my old IDI to make it all work either.

I love john deeres and fords so why not put them together. Yea it might not have the power of some of the other engines. But how many can say that its a john deere the powers there truck. My dream truck is a ford highboy with the john deere engine in it still workin on that lol. I know all about hours of faburication time I am restoring a 79 ford f150 and have a 73 mach 1 mustang that next in line.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
how many can say that its a john deere the powers there truck.

Anyone driving a 86?-98 chevy pickup w a small block. John deere had the casting rights, and it shows. 98% of them had main bearing knock from not being line bored from the factory

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone driving a 86?-98 chevy pickup w a small block. John deere had the casting rights, and it shows. 98% of them had main bearing knock from not being line bored from the factory

That's awesome I hate chevy's and green tractors. :rotflmao:rotflmao

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score

You could still get 95,000 miles out of them before replacement :rotflmao

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought we were suppose to support people with projects instead of discouraging them, I was on another site where if you didn't belong to a elite group you were either snubbed or chastised for your question.

There was one post that really got to me, a new guy had a older power-stroke and worked at a Ford dealership and need a part # that was no longer available. You would not believe that someone said that he was wasting the boards time asking for the part number.

Seems like the same thing going on here. As I don't have an IDI anymore I enjoyed coming to this board just to help as in the past I had 3 of them. I am disappointed in this thread as I know a lot of the older members here and they would jump to give help and support.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 93 Suburban with a 350; enough room to haul all of the kids, and I couldn't afford a Excursion back when I bought it. It made it to 160k before the thermostat stuck closed going down the freeway. The wife was yaking on the cell phone and not paying attention to the temp gauge. Needless to say, it overheated until it locked up, then I had to rebuild the ****.
From my days doing machine work; the lightweight head castings used on these motors are terrible. I estimate about 90% that I went to rebuild were cracked - seeing how there's 2 heads on each motor, that's some pretty bad odds.........

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the ifs (twin I beam)front end you have now will not be a problem adding even 400 lbs of engine unless you re running big tires or want to lift the truck or converting to 4x4...i would leave it alone

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Never said don't do it, in fact i said go for it. I'd like to see what you can do with that green engine in one of these trucks. There wouldn't have been a diesel truck had people like my grandpa been shut down by the naysayers. My grandpa built the first Ford diesel truck, had all the Ford executives at the farm along with Popular mechanics looking at it. He used an engine out of a Ford tractor to power that truck and had it for over almost 20 years.

All I was saying is I don't understand the point of repowering these old trucks by putting powerstrokes or 24v cummins into them. If you want a newer computer controlled engine then I guess I just don't understand why that person doesn't just buy a new truck and have all the other amenities that come with a new truck. Those kind of repowers just don't make a whole lot of sense to me but to each his own.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
You have no idea how many of these engines i replace under warranty
And the worst part was i put in POS knocking engines to replace knocking enginescookoo

My parents purchaced a brand new 89 burb in '88, sold it a couple weeks ago, engine at 95k, transmission at ~100k, needed a new transmission when sold at ~200k, I remember it going back to the dealer several times for waranty work, much to my parents annoyance.

Just replaced it with a 2010 1500 4x4 with the new 5.3L, it's almost like they hired a Honda and a Toyota consultant to learn about building reliable cars, everything just works :eek: and it goes like stink too!

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I thought we were suppose to support people with projects instead of discouraging them, I was on another site where if you didn't belong to a elite group you were either snubbed or chastised for your question.

There was one post that really got to me, a new guy had a older power-stroke and worked at a Ford dealership and need a part # that was no longer available. You would not believe that someone said that he was wasting the boards time asking for the part number.

Seems like the same thing going on here. As I don't have an IDI anymore I enjoyed coming to this board just to help as in the past I had 3 of them. I am disappointed in this thread as I know a lot of the older members here and they would jump to give help and support.

Not discouraging him. Just making him aware that he would not be improving really anything putting a 85hp engine in place of a 170hp one, other than the originality of it.

if he want to put a Green engine in, how bout a 466:sly http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8vd3d3LnlvdXR1YmUuY29tL3dhdGNoP3Y9UGFEVEFXcUVCNDQ= Watch the WHOLE video

Last edited:

lynch

little stinker
Reaction score
I am not trying to be a smartass or anything. I thank all of u for your help and info like I said its my first diesel and dont now much I am only 19 haha. For the ones that dont understand why I am puting a 85hp 4020 engine in to replace the 170hp engine. Well I can make as much horse power out of that engine as the old cummins dodge used if not more I seen it done. The best part is the cummins guys only get 20 maybe a bit more in mpg I would be getin close to 40 lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online