Put a muffler on it

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Should I be more concerned about egt's? The muffler is not a flow through design at all. Very quiet. The truck actually didn't want to run after I put it on. It took a fair amount of coaxing and feathering the throttle to get her used to it. I have a pyro to put on but it haven't been able to yet. The question though is will the egts climb at a substantially faster rate with a muffler as opposed to straight piped?

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in the shortest answer possible, yes. the egts will climb faster with restriction (muffler, small pipes...) in the exhaust.

dmaxjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish you had your pyro for before and after results. I am getting ready to straight pipe mine and was wondering what the difference in egt's would be. I guess I will find out soon enough.:sly

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was running 400 to 750 on freeway and now run 300 to 600 freeway no trailer crusing so theres about 100 degree difference in the straight pipe which is make it or break it pullin a big hill so i think its a good move if you can i had a 40 series flowmaster all 3in down pipe back and cut it out and weled a straight piece 3in and now have solid straight dumps before right rear tire sounds great i have a turbo as well and its really not to loud unless 3/4 or full throttle is aplied

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PYRO is your idi heart rate best way to put that its her stress level get one ASAP

dmaxjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a turbo and my temps run around 600-750 freeway. When pulling my travel trailer I am 800-1100. I have stock pipes with flowmaster muffler. I have to get off the go pedal on some of the hills while pulling. Thats what I want to avoid.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
anything that increases backpressure on your exhaust will rob power and increase egts, how much all depends on way to many factors to get a guess that could even be considered close to accurate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance